Preventing NA from crossing streets from one side to another in one ways

10-24-2019 07:35 AM
FrançoisRobitaille1
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I think I have a good one here: Is there a way to prevent NA from crossing streets from one side to another in one ways?

I have this situation: In a one way street, there are couple of stops located on both sides of the street.  For legal considerations, the vehicules are not allowed to "zig zag".  So they have to complete one side of the street first and then come back to complete the other side.  We also want NA to perform the optimization without having to alter the stops order.

I have tried a couple a things including changing the CurbApproach (left, right, no UTurn) but nothing worked: The routes generated keep going from one side to another on the same segment.

The only workaround I can come up with is to double my streets in one ways, but I would prefer not to modify my geometry only to handle that problem...

Any clues?

TIA

François Robitaille

City of Laval

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have a one-way street, then you can only travel along one direction. So stops can be located on either side of the a one way but they will have to be visited while traveling along the the same way as allowed by the one-way setting. What would be your ideal solution? Visit the stops on one side first and then go around the block and visit the one's on the other side? Perhaps that can be managed by loading the stops in two steps. First load all the orders on one side and then load the other side. That way they will not be mixed together to do the zig-zag.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
FrançoisRobitaille1
New Contributor

Hi Jay,

Thanks you for your response.  Yes, you got it right! This is exactly what we want to achieve: we want to visit the stops on one side first and then go around the block and visit the one's on the other side.  For some of our operations, it is possible to specify one side to load and then do another pass to load the other side.  It would be an elegant solution if we could do it in every situations, but it's not always possible.  And this is in those very specific situations that we encounter the problem.  Tank you for your help.

F.

0 Kudos