Overlapping Bus routs

Jump to solution
05-22-2013 11:07 PM
MohamedDarwish
New Contributor
I have three feature classes for the network:  
- Bus routes : having all bus routs split on each bus stop
- Bus stops : all bus stops location snapped to the ends of each bus route segment
- Walking routs : line connection between each two stations (face to face stations) to allow the passenger to cross the other side of street to change his direction using another bus.

the problem is the overlapped bus segments , Consider bus 66 and 19 are overlapping

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24608[/ATTACH]

like the attached image , if i'm solving the network to go from station 1 to station 3, if the solution started with bus number 66 it should continue with bus number 66 after station number 2 , but in some cases the route changes to another bus number however the same number 66 does exists in the second segment.

it should be bus number 66 and continue on 66 OR Bus 19 then continue bus 19 NOT bus 66 then bus 19
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
JeremiahNieves
New Contributor III
[LEFT]
Thanks for the help so far. So I offset my routes by using Editing and then Move and it allowed me to move them a specified distance. Now I have built a network of just bus routes, but my stops and connectors don't seem to be working. What connectivity policy should I have? I used the one in the paper you referenced as a guide. I'll attach an image of my problem. Also you'll see in the Connectors image that the Real Stop are connected in a linear fashion as opposed to radial, is this correct? Also, when building the Network Dataset, do I build the Z Elevation?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26456[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26457[/ATTACH]

Conor,
    Unfortunately, without being there and intimately involved with the project I can only be of limited help, but I will try to address some of your concerns. I also suggest utilizing the tool I built, which has instructions in the readme, which will construct the 3D network and only leave the network dataset build for you to worry about.

• Connectors and Stops

•     Assuming that the connectivity is in order and that the stops were designated as junctions in the network dataset build, the only reason the stops and connectors should not be allowing travel is if they are not spatially coincident with the street feature and or route feature. Alternatively, if your travel costs are not set up correctly Network Analyst, based on your inputs, may be calculating the travel cost to go _X_ miles by walking on the street as more efficient than hopping on a bus. This could be from a misplaced decimal point in the attribute table or an accidentally selecting the wrong field during the network dataset build. It will require investigation on your end. Make sure to check the connectivity type as the stops should be set to "Override." For more, see below in "Connectivity" and note that TARC is the name of the bus system I worked with. Immediately below this bullet point is a screen shot of the source features and types as well as a screenshot showing how I had by travel costs set up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26597[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26598[/ATTACH]

WT: Wait Time (at stop)   BAT: Bus Access Time (time to walk a given street feature)  BTT: Bus Travel Time (time it took a bus to travel a given feature)

• Connectivity

•     I merged my features into "master features" by type (i.e. one master bus route feature, one master stops feature containing both the real and psuedo stops, and one master connector feature). With the addition of the street feature I had the connectivity policy seen below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26596[/ATTACH]

• Linear versus Radial

•     It is fine for connectors to just be linear from a stop to a route. The only time you will have multiple connectors radiating our from a single real stop, the one at street level, is when you have a real stop that services multiple routes. Refer to my previous posts for the image of this.

• Z-values (Elevation)

•     When you build the network dataset, assuming you have created 3D features, you will select the option to use Z-values
    from the geometry.

Hopefully this clarifies some things, but again I suggest using the tool in my previous post to save a lot of time and hassle, if you are up against a deadline, and to experiment with the intricacies of building one from scratch later on with a small dataset, as suggested by Srirama.
[/LEFT]
0 Kudos
ConorMoloney
New Contributor III
Thank you Jeremiah. You explained it very well. I'm able to do everything quite easily using model builder. I've built a dataset and it works for the most part, there are some funny routes but I think this is down to the data quality. I also made a dataset without doing it in 3D, just offset the routes, and it seems to work the same. Can I ask you to put up screenshots of your Time evaluators? I followed the tutorial but I get errors when I try and route using my evaluator for time
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
what kind of error? what kind of evaluator are you using ?

sorry, just saw you started a new thread.
0 Kudos