OD Cost Matrix: Using separate road line and address point datasets

08-05-2010 04:20 AM
CathalDundon
New Contributor
I am dealing with 3 very basic datasets. One is a road network where the only attribute available is length; given automatically when the Network Dataset is built. The second is an address database with XY coordinates (which I used to create a point shape file). The third is a shape file with one point to be used as a destination. I basically want to find the shortest paths between my address points and my destination but when I solve the OD Cost Matrix all I get are straight lines, which leads me to believe that the points and lines aren't talking to each other.

I have no hierarchy in my dataset but would like to include one (obviously to make the paths more efficient). I cannot find a way to add one as a column in the dataset. Is this even possible? My road network is not an american block system so it is far more complicated, so a hierarchy is basically essential to my analysis.

Any help on any matter I have mentioned would be greatly appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
CathalDundon
New Contributor
The straight lines mean that a path was found between those 2 points. They are not straight line distances. The actual distance is in the attribute table of the routes. If you want to see the routes taken on the map run a 'make closest facility layer' and specify the number of facilities as 40; otherwise it will only find the closest to each point.
0 Kudos
BruceBell
New Contributor
Hello I hope you may still be looking at this thread, but I am trying to do an even simpler analysis involving OD Cost Matrix over a road network. I have set the impedence parameters etc but the solver refuses to produce any results. I am sure that destinations and origins lie on the network (edited with snapping). Any ideas? 

Here is the an example of the error output message for one of my origins:

- Warning: No "Destinations" found for "COPACOL" in "Origins".

Cheers
0 Kudos
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
This issue can be due to several possible reasons:

1. Your origins (and/or destinations) are located on restricted elements. At the ArcGIS 10 release, we have provided functionality to avoid locating your points on restricted elements.

2. There is no valid path in your network dataset from some (or all) of your origins to some (or all) of your destinations. This can be due to disconnected parts of your network from using restriction attributes or from having bad topology in the network dataset.

There are other possible reasons, but these are generally the most likely cases, so let's start there first.

Where is your network dataset data coming from? I would first suggest turning off all of your restriction attributes and trying to re-solve the analysis to see if restrictions could be part of the problem. If this doesn't help, then it is likely a topology problem in your network data. Let me know, and we can proceed from there.