Number of Trips between Stops in Route Network Analyst

Jump to solution
04-01-2021 07:08 AM
KristinThorpe1
Occasional Contributor

Hello! I want to calculate the number of people in a network who travel along a certain route. I have been developing a workflow for weeks to map commute trips and I finally figured it out... mostly. I have a point feature with Stops and Route Names used in the Route Network Analyst layer. The Routes show exactly what I expected and I found a few other threads to help summarize the number of overlapping routes at specific intersections.

However, I also have a field in my point layer that lists the number of people ("Total Jobs" in the image below) traveling between Stops. Is there a way to factor this in to the Route analysis? As is, the Route analysis assumes one trip going from Point A to Point B. I need to set the number of people travelling between Stops from the Total Jobs field in the point feature layer. Short of creating duplicate points at each Stop location to represent the number of people (which I do not want to do), I'm afraid my only option is to use joins and manually add this count later. I would love if there was a way to essentially duplicate the Routes output by the number of Total Jobs. 

Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

No, Network Analyst does not pass through fields the way you're describing. You just need to do a couple of joins.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You want to factor it into the actual Network Analyst tool?  I've read this several times but struggle to grasp what you're doing and why a count of people is called Total_Jobs.

Anyway, a hidden gem for this type of work is Copy Traversed Source Features (Network Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation whereby you could then script multiple NA solves and spatial join route sections where identical - using Total_Jobs with a SUM merge rule. 

0 Kudos
KristinThorpe1
Occasional Contributor

I've read about the Copy Traversed Source Features tool. That workflow sound similar to what I had envisioned might work.

Yes, I was wondering if there is a way to factor in the Total Jobs before (or during) running the Network Analyst without having to create thousands of point features to represent the number of people (jobs) commuting from Point A to Point B. I'm working with a table from the Census Bureau that has the Workplace Census Block (w_geocode), Residence Census Block (h_geocode), Total Jobs (S000), and other information about jobs. Total Jobs is essentially the number of people commuting between the Workplace CB to the Residence CB. I want to calculate "there are X amount of people commuting from their Residence CB to their Workplace CB (Residence CB and Workplace CB being my Stops and matched with the Route Name)". 

I hope this describes my problem a little better. I appreciate your input!

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is each stop just the centre of a Census Block?  If you already have a table with all that information, isn't it just matching the route to the census blocks and a few simple calculations to then add to the route?

I don't get where more network analysis is required after solving a route between census blocks.

0 Kudos
KristinThorpe1
Occasional Contributor

Basically. I suppose that's my question. Is there a way to set Network Analyst to know that X number of people are traveling between Census Block A and Census Block B based off the Total Jobs field? This way I don't have to join the Route output back to my original table. It sounds like that's my best course of action!

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

No, Network Analyst does not pass through fields the way you're describing. You just need to do a couple of joins.

0 Kudos