Network Analyst - Which type of road is used by route?

Jump to solution
03-02-2018 02:50 AM
MatthiasWüthrich
New Contributor II

Hello 

I solved a vehicle routing problem  for logging operations. To get to the orders, my route uses two types of roads (streets and logging tracks). The route created is a simple polyline, but I would like to know at which point the route is on logging tracks and on which on  the street. Is there a possibility that network analyst can tell me which road type is used? To ilustrate what I want, I draw this quick and dirty sketch. 

Sketch

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Actually, the easiest way is to run the Copy Traversed Source Features tool.  This will output feature classes that include the network edges, junctions, and turns that were used to make up the route.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I think you'll need to perform a spatial selection using the route to select the underlying features of your street data that was used to build the network.  The streets have the type info, correct?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Maybe the least difficult way could be to buffer (small distance) the road types, using a FLAT line end (Advanced license required) and then intersect the route with this buffer to get the road type into the result.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Actually, the easiest way is to run the Copy Traversed Source Features tool.  This will output feature classes that include the network edges, junctions, and turns that were used to make up the route.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing MMorang-esristaff . Learning something new every day here.

0 Kudos
JohnFix1
New Contributor III

As an old Arc/Info user I was wondering, where is the "section" table? lol.

Thank you very much, this command is what I needed.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

When we were designing the route-system, some folks did not want to expose the section attribute table, but I lobbied for it to be visible as it was most useful  And then it became even more useful when we re-wrote the route/allocate products to be in Arcplot and wrote the results out to the RAT/SEC tables. Old memories!

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
JohnFix1
New Contributor III

Arcplot! Now that takes me back! "Display 1040" hahaha

MatthiasWüthrich
New Contributor II

Thanks for all the answers. I finally did with the Copy Traversed Source Features tool, it gives me exactly the outpout I want.

0 Kudos