Network Analyst ignores bikeways in Multimodal network

03-08-2012 10:37 AM
RuthHeaton
New Contributor II
I have a multimodal network with separate line layers for bikeways and streets. For cars, the bikeways layer is restricted, but for bikes and pedestrians, it is not. There is a bike connection point layer in the network that is in the connections group for the bikeways layer and the street layer. So I THINK it's set up right. But when I try to solve for pedestrian walk time, network analyst does not use the bikeways, just the streets. I'm not sure how to tell the network to use both for either bike time or pedestrian time. What am I doing wrong?

Ruth
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
NaAn
by
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

Please make sure that bikeways and streets are actually connected at the connection points.

In addition, you will need to introduce DriveTime, BikeTime and PedestrianTime attributes in the network dataset. Depending on what type of time you want to use, set the corresponding attribute as the Impedance in the NA layer properties.

Please find more details here:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Exercise_2_Creating_a_multimodal_netwo...

Thanks.

Anna
0 Kudos
RuthHeaton
New Contributor II
The BikeConnection points are all snapped to endpoints on both layers. There isn't anything physically wrong with the connections--the network just won't read them. I have DriveTime, BikeTime, and PedestrianTime attributes, populated. I am trying to run routes using BikeTime and it is ignoring the bike routes.

I had already done everything it says to do in Exercise 2 I set up a topology to make absolutely sure everything was physically connected, which it is. And the network will not read the bike routes. It will read them as an edge--that is if I put a start and end on a bike route, it creates a route. But if I put a start on a bike route and the end on the streets, it says there is no path.

I'd like to add bus routes to this multimodal network, but I have to get it working on the much less complicated and elaborate bike paths first.

Thanks.

Ruth

Hi,

Please make sure that bikeways and streets are actually connected at the connection points.

In addition, you will need to introduce DriveTime, BikeTime and PedestrianTime attributes in the network dataset. Depending on what type of time you want to use, set the corresponding attribute as the Impedance in the NA layer properties.

Please find more details here:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Exercise_2_Creating_a_multimodal_netwo...

Thanks.

Anna
0 Kudos
NaAn
by
Occasional Contributor

But if I put a start on a bike route and the end on the streets, it says there is no path.

When you solve the route, did you turn off all restrictions? If restrictions are all turned off and no path is found, it means bike layer and street layer are not connected. Could you please attached your data for me to take a look?

Thanks.

Anna
0 Kudos
RuthHeaton
New Contributor II
fixed this! With the help of Matthew at ESRI tech support (thanks) The problem is that I had set elevations on the street edges but I didn't have elevations on the bike paths. I had to add the FElev and TElev fields to the bikepaths and to the connection points (just an Elev field in the points) and populate them (to 0, the default, or to match the elevation on the street endpoint at the join) and set the elevation in the network to read those fields--because otherwise Network Analyst thinks the edges are in different planes.

Ruth
ChristopherPollard
Occasional Contributor
Ruth,
Any chance that you'd be able to post a link or share some of your attribute information as well as field types for some of your multimodal datasets?
Feel free to contact me if you want.
I am currently in the process of creating a multimodal network (Bike, Pedestrian (road center line file) and Bus routes) and have been trying to find resources and information on how best to build the datasets.
What attributes are required for all datasets?

Also do I need to create fake bus stops that are offset from the centerline file?
Do I need to offset my bus routes from the centerline file?
If yes, what would be the best way to do this?

The Paris example seems simple and doesn't really to address any issues that I have been having such as overlapping routes or multiple bus stops at one location.

Will I need to build a linear transfer feature from bus to road centerline?

Thank you in advance and sorry for all the questions,
Chris
0 Kudos
eslamali
New Contributor

Please if you can share your scheme or network for studying purposes we will be all happy because i can not find any sample about that complex network example anywhere.

0 Kudos
EdmundHall
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I had a similar issue a recently, but it wasn't a result of a Z elevation issue. I had created a network dataset using snapping, but I still wound up having network connectivity issues. I primarily use ArcGIS Pro, but a good tool to use to inspect network connectivity is the Network Identify tool in ArcMap.

Additionally, there's a helpful blog and downloadable resource of ArcGIS Pro tasks to create a local government network dataset which might be of use in addition to the Paris multi-modal network tutorial. 

0 Kudos