Network Analyst & Geometric networks

02-04-2011 04:21 AM
SanjianMalapermal
New Contributor
I am interested in building a geometric network and would like to know if the ext. Network analyst ext. in Arc View 9.3 can be used to build and analyse a GN,....or do I need Arc Editor.  I am getting conflicting views and thought that this forum could assist.

I would also like to know if there is an extention such as utility analyst or network utility analyst or are these the same.

Furthermore, does utility analyst come with arc editor as I have been informed of this as well.

Can some one assist, this novice user.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SanjianMalapermal
New Contributor
Hi malapes,

The geometric network is NOT part of the ArcGIS Network Analyst extension.  It is part of the core ArcGIS, so you don't need any extensions to build or analyze a geometric network.

To build a geometric network, you need at least an ArcEditor license level.  To analyze the geometric network, all you need is the ArcView license level.  See the ArcGIS Desktop Functionality Matrix for full details -- geometric networks are listed in the fourth column from the right.  This matrix is specific for ArcGIS 10, but the licensing of geometric networks is the same in ArcGIS 9.x as well.

In ArcMap, there is a toolbar you use for analyzing geometric networks; it is named "Utility Network Analyst" and is described in the ArcGIS Desktop Help here.  This toolbar is part of core ArcGIS Desktop and does not require any extensions.

Alan

Alan,

Thank you, for that very precise answer, http://forums.arcgis.com/images/icons/icon14.gif  I have visited the links you sent me.

I will make arrangements to purchase a arc editor licence through my company, but this may take up to 5 months as it is a costly purchase. In the mean time,...

I have an Arc View license 9.3 and would like to analyse a GN that has already been built. Can you advise if there are any sample networks that I can train on in the interim.

also, I may be able to obtain a GN created in Editor 9.1, would I be able to open this in arc view 9.3, and are there any help files available on how to do this.

Thank you, so much

Novice user, malapes
0 Kudos
SanjianMalapermal
New Contributor
Alan, you have been most helpful, much appreciated.

malapes
0 Kudos
SanjianMalapermal
New Contributor
Hi Alan,

It has been some time since you have assisted me and I was hoping that you could assist further.

Since we last chatted, I was able to obtain a copy of Arc Editor and developed a geometric network on once our our companies electrical network.

I thought that all features were spatially connected until I ran a trace on the Utility Network Analyst and found that four of the lines shown below are not connected to the source node.

I tried using the connect feature tool on the "edit GN toolbar", but I am not sure if I am performing the edit correctly.

Can you please assist.

I have attached a copy of the screen shot trying to illustrate my issue.

I did notice however, that when I am in edit mode and select the Station node, the four lines that do not trace in the "find connected" task are the ones that continuous,.....note sure if these were created differently.

Please advise if you are able to assist or need more information.

I can send you the gdb if need be.

Thank you

sanjian

sanjianm@gmail.com

PS. I have amended the subject line as I no longer need information on Network Analyst,...only Utility network Analyst at this stage.
0 Kudos
SanjianMalapermal
New Contributor
Hi malapes,

Be sure that your line features edited in such a way that they are snapped to the node -- the Connect Feature tool on the "edit GN toolbar" only works when the endpoints (or vertices) of the features you want to connect are already coincident.  Once the vertices are coincident, then the features should automatically connect to each other (you should only need to use the Connect Feature tool if they are indeed coincident but still not connected).  Often times the lines appear to be coincident when you're zoomed out, but when you zoom in you will see that they are not.  Also, be sure that you are using the correct edge feature type (simple edge vs. complex edge) -- simple edge features can only connect to other features via its endpoints, while complex edge features can connect mid-span.  If you would like someone to examine your data in more detail, you can contact Esri Technical Support and send it to them.

Alan

Alan, thanks for that information, it is very useful,....I have only had about a months hands-on experience with the software, so I will check the coincidence using the normal editor first.

I will also prepare a sample set of the data and request the esri technical team to have a look.

Thanks for you support

Malapes
0 Kudos