Network Analysis - is there bus stop number limitation?

Jump to solution
02-08-2015 03:31 PM
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to create schematic diagram partial overlapping for a bus network of 61 routes. I'm using network analysis to create bus routes by adding bus stops as graphic points. The Stops layer strangely behaved  when i'm adding the bus stop 751th. The whole bus stops list disappeared, please see the attached file.

Does anyone come across this problem?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thao

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I suspect that the addition of your 751st stop is just crossing a threshold in the Network Analyst window after which it automatically collapses all the stops in order to save display space.  The stops are still there and assigned to the correct routes, but you just can't view them in the Network Analyst window because there are too many.

Since you have sooooo many stops, it seems like it would make more sense for you to create a feature class of them using the editing tools before loading them into a Network Analysis layer.  Your feature class could have a field called RouteName which you could easily edit in order to assign the stops to the correct route.  Then, when you load the feature class as Stops in your route, just use field mapping to assign the RouteName field in your feature class to the RouteName property for the Stops.  If you don't want to start over completely, just export your Stops as a feature class, add the rest of them, and then re-load them back into the NA layer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

when did it start behaving badly?  can you go back and identify it?  it could be more that the stops at play.

0 Kudos
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Thanks for your respond Dan.

As you can see on the attached file, everything is fine at bus stop number 750. Then all stops listed in network analysis window disappeared immediately after I added bus stop number 751. It created a error " One or more stops have an empty "RouteName" field value and have not been assigned to any route", as I can not add RouteName for the new bus stops 751 added.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would remove that stop until you can rectify the situation...why would it not be assigned to a route?

0 Kudos
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

As the Stop layer on the network analysis window disappeared, I can not assign the RouteName for that bus stop. Therefore it can not be routed.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I suspect that the addition of your 751st stop is just crossing a threshold in the Network Analyst window after which it automatically collapses all the stops in order to save display space.  The stops are still there and assigned to the correct routes, but you just can't view them in the Network Analyst window because there are too many.

Since you have sooooo many stops, it seems like it would make more sense for you to create a feature class of them using the editing tools before loading them into a Network Analysis layer.  Your feature class could have a field called RouteName which you could easily edit in order to assign the stops to the correct route.  Then, when you load the feature class as Stops in your route, just use field mapping to assign the RouteName field in your feature class to the RouteName property for the Stops.  If you don't want to start over completely, just export your Stops as a feature class, add the rest of them, and then re-load them back into the NA layer.

ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Thanks for your work around. It works. Yay!

0 Kudos