Multiple Service Areas for Multiple Points Using Breaks_[Impedance]

01-05-2013 04:01 PM
WilliamTrachtman
New Contributor III
Quick question (I think), I want to make multiple Service Areas using different amounts of time.  I know how do do it manually by entering a single amount of time in the Breaks_[Impedance] in the dialog box.  Can this be done where the breaks will hit a series of times (like a column in a database) or by manually entering 5, 10, 15?

Second question, and this is really more of a bonus question and not really needed but I would like to find out.  I have never used model builder, is it possible to set up a model where it will take 1 set of points, make multiple service areas of varying times, then take another group of points and make multiple service areas of varying times?  I am just curious as I would like to run this in the office when I am not there.

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
What you ask for is possible. Model builder is just for automation of manual processes. If you think a process is possible manually, you can also build a model for the same. It is just how you organize the workflow of the model avoiding conflicting input and outputs. To my understanding, not all tools are available for model builder, that may be a bit of hiccup. There is a good book by ESRI press for Model Builder. If you can get access to that book, you can explore on your own.

Getting to Know ArcGIS ModelBuilder
By David W. Allen

regards,
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
Please also refer to mmorang's answer on this page

r
egards,
0 Kudos
WilliamTrachtman
New Contributor III
Thanks for the information.  I see that you can manually enter multiple numbers in the breaks area.  This helps out a lot.  As for the rest, it really doesn't matter in this case.  I tried to do 30 minute service areas for 663 sites, but it crashed arcmap at some point over the weekend.

I will have to take a look at that model builder book.  I don't really know anything about it, but I think it could come in very handy when attempting to automate map generation.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Service areas are kept in memorry and that can cause you to run of memory when doing so many at one time. You can change this behavior by "chunking", that is, doing a few at a time and writing them out. To enable this you need to add a registry key. Details on this are in the following article:
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38426

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
WilliamTrachtman
New Contributor III
Cool.  I will check that out.
0 Kudos