Multimodal network dataset - is it possible to use buffers for changing modes?

10-27-2011 09:49 AM
StefanDetzlhofer
New Contributor
hello,

i am trying to create a multimodal network dataset, comprising roads, waterways and ports. When i built the network i received the error message "Standalone user-defined junction is detected.".
After looking at the locations of the ports, it seems that the ports are neither located on a street nor on a waterway. So it's obvious why the error message was displayed.
And now this is where my problem starts. How can i use the ports for transit between the two modes? I read in this thread about buffers around transition points but i have no idea how to implement such a solution. I am able to create buffers around the ports, but polygons are not usable in the network dataset wizard.
Or is there another approach for such problem? Any help is appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
May be try increasing the search tolerance to look for locations (ports ?) or may be connect ports with dummy links with a very low resistance?
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
The best way to use point locations such as ports is to add/digitize  new links to connect the port to the relevant location on the rest of the network. You could take a look at the Paris multi-modal dataset that is part of the Network Analyst tutorials to see how roads are connected to bus stops/transfer stations to rail. The exercise 2 is here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Exercise_2_Creating_a_multimodal_netwo...

Regards,
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
StefanDetzlhofer
New Contributor
thanks a lot for your replies.
i tried to model it the way it is described in the exercise 2 and i was successful! thank you very much!
0 Kudos