Multimodal data set not functioning - NETWORK ANALYST

04-24-2010 03:33 PM
JeremyStrauss
New Contributor
Hello all,

I am trying to create a multimodal network dataset in the greater Boston area using the MBTA subway lines/stations, commuter rail lines/stations, and bus routes (stations are assumed to be anywhere along a bus route for the purposes of this network).  I integrated a 400 m buffer line around the respective stations and then changed these vectors to points (the buffers now serve as the stations along the lines).  I'm trying to construct the network so that anywhere the commuter buffer and subway buffer intersect, a "change" of line can be made.  Additionally, anywhere the bus lines intersect with these buffers, one should be able to change mode of transit.

Currently, I have four modes of connectivity in the network.  When building it, the four modes were used to refer to the bus lines, subway lines, commuter lines, and station buffers (which were used instead of the stations).  Although ArcCatalog offered me no error message, the network did not build. 

I realize this is confusing.  Does anyone know what could be wrong?  Any tips for building a multimodal network with three modes of public transportation?

Thank you,

Jeremy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
Can you be more specific about your statement "the network did not build"?

In general, there are two steps involved in building network datasets:
1. Create the network dataset - this is what happens after you specify the cost attributes, connectivity model, etc. Once you are finished in the network dataset creation wizard, it will "create" the dataset (i.e., establish the internal schema based on your specified cost attributes, etc.). However, this process does not establish connectivity or populate attribute information. This is typically done in a follow-up process. The wizard will usually "create" the dataset and then immediately ask if you wish to "build" the dataset (see below).
2. Build the network dataset - this establishes the connectivity and attribute information to be stored in your network dataset. Until this process is complete, you will not be able to perform analysis on your dataset.

Have you verified that you actually tried to "build" the dataset and not just "create" it? If not, please run build on the dataset and see if that fixes your issues. If that is not the problem, then please post back with more specifics about why you think the network did not build correctly.
0 Kudos
JeremyStrauss
New Contributor
Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I created the set and then built it (after ArcCatalog asked me to and manually later on).  It worked neither time (there is no preview available).

Can you be more specific about your statement "the network did not build"?

In general, there are two steps involved in building network datasets:
1. Create the network dataset - this is what happens after you specify the cost attributes, connectivity model, etc. Once you are finished in the network dataset creation wizard, it will "create" the dataset (i.e., establish the internal schema based on your specified cost attributes, etc.). However, this process does not establish connectivity or populate attribute information. This is typically done in a follow-up process. The wizard will usually "create" the dataset and then immediately ask if you wish to "build" the dataset (see below).
2. Build the network dataset - this establishes the connectivity and attribute information to be stored in your network dataset. Until this process is complete, you will not be able to perform analysis on your dataset.

Have you verified that you actually tried to "build" the dataset and not just "create" it? If not, please run build on the dataset and see if that fixes your issues. If that is not the problem, then please post back with more specifics about why you think the network did not build correctly.
0 Kudos
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "there is no preview available". Again, you will have to be more specific about your problem.

After building the network dataset, are you able to add it to ArcMap and see the network? Using the Network Identify tool from the Network Analyst toolbar, are you able to click on the network and get information about the network attributes?
0 Kudos
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
Jeremy,

Were you ever able to resolve your problem?
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Jeremy.  Were you ever able to create your  multimodal network dataset? I just wanted to let you know about a new prototype tool from Esri's Network Analyst team which allows you to add GTFS public transit data directly to a network dataset. You can use this network dataset with the Network Analyst tools to run time-aware analyses that incorporate the transit schedules.
You can download the toolset and instructions here:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=0fa52a75d9ba4abcad6b88bb6285fae1
Please do not hesitate to contact me at mmorang@esri.com with questions or comments about this toolset.
0 Kudos