Modeling sidewalk network with ADA ramp and crosswalk for the use of network analyst.

08-18-2017 11:07 AM
PengyuLi
New Contributor

Hi,

My professor asked me to model a sidewalk network with a point layer representing ADA ramps and a line layer representing crosswalks. I tried many ways to model it but failed in different ways. 

Since the points would have no meaning in the network dataset, which means that in the network analyst routes would go through intersections that have no ramp. In the real world it is not feasible if a handicapped person wants to cross a intersection where there is no ramp. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Points can play a role in a network dataset. They can become junctions and can have the same set of impedance and restriction attributes defined on them. You can add a wheelchair accessible restriction on the junctions and model the places where their are ramps, to be not restricted. 

I suggest you take a look at the Paris multi-modal network dataset that is part of the tutorials and see how more advanced connectivity can be set up within a network dataset. Make sure to go through Exercise 2:

About the ArcGIS Network Analyst extension tutorial—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Jay Sandhu

PengyuLi
New Contributor

Thanks Jay. I have went through the tutorial before, negligently. Thanks for mention that, I will try it. 

0 Kudos
PengyuLi
New Contributor

Dear Jay, 

I went through it again. The problem here is that if I make a Point (ramp) restricted, the movements that go through sidewalks would be blocked too (I mean the pedestrians, who do not cross the crosswalk, turn at the corner of the sidewalk.). One way to solve it is to put the points away a little bit from the sidewalks but it does not demonstrate the real-world scenario, where there could be only one ramp on one side but we have to put two points. Could you please give me some advice? Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The point needs to be restricted only when you are solving for an ADA route. For normal pedestrian the restriction should be turned off. In the Paris network dataset, there is a DriveTime for cars and PedestrianTime for walking/metro. You can have a ADARestriction that is ON when you want to route wheelchairs. This will be a choice you make when you create the route analysis layer to do routing on your network.

Jay Sandhu

PatrickClaflin
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I am curious if you found a method to restrict these types of routes in your network. I am working on a similar problem (ADA accessible routes through sidewalks at a University) and I'm having trouble getting a restriction on a point to work.

For example, I have an elevated walkway and want to restrict solutions similar to the crosswalk problem mentioned previously. Stairs are not a restriction when walking, but those in a wheelchair must use an elevator. I have points which mark the edge of the stairs and an associated "barrier" attribute. I set up a descriptor in the network where if barrier is true, it should be prohibited, but this does not work.

I have also opened a support ticket with Esri, but wanted to see if you had a working solution. Thanks for any help you can provide!