Measuring distance of multiple taxi trips

Jump to solution
07-22-2014 12:25 PM
DavidKoch1
New Contributor

I'm fairly inexperienced with Network Analyst and unsure which tool to use. I have a spreadsheet of taxi trips, each with a unique ID. Each trip has a pickup latitude and longitude, and a drop-off latitude and longitude. I've created two shapefiles, one for pickups and one for drop-offs. I want to use Network Analyst to calculate the number of miles traveled between each set of origins and destinations. Which function should I use, and how should I set up my data?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattCrowder
Esri Contributor

Assuming you have ArcMap and a Network Dataset:

In ArcMap, add a network dataset to your map and then create a route analysis layer.

From the spreadsheet:

Create an xy event layer based on from longitude and latitude.

Load those records in as Stops.  (Make sure to Map the UniqueID for each route as the RouteName)

Create an xy event layer based on the destination longitude and latitude

Load those records in to the Route Stops.  (Once again mapping the route UniqueID for each RouteName)

You should now have a route analysis layer with a bunch of stops where you have 2 stops per RouteName.

Solve the problem.

Assuming you had 3 "routes", with unique ID's 1,2,3 the contents of the Network Analyst Window would look something like this

NAWindow.png

Hope this helps,

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MattCrowder
Esri Contributor

Assuming you have ArcMap and a Network Dataset:

In ArcMap, add a network dataset to your map and then create a route analysis layer.

From the spreadsheet:

Create an xy event layer based on from longitude and latitude.

Load those records in as Stops.  (Make sure to Map the UniqueID for each route as the RouteName)

Create an xy event layer based on the destination longitude and latitude

Load those records in to the Route Stops.  (Once again mapping the route UniqueID for each RouteName)

You should now have a route analysis layer with a bunch of stops where you have 2 stops per RouteName.

Solve the problem.

Assuming you had 3 "routes", with unique ID's 1,2,3 the contents of the Network Analyst Window would look something like this

NAWindow.png

Hope this helps,

Matt

0 Kudos
DavidKoch1
New Contributor

That worked, thank you! The part I didn't know was using the ID for the RouteName.

0 Kudos