Loading Incidents/Facilities is very slow

04-25-2023 04:43 AM
melisahansen
New Contributor III

When loading facilities and incidents in Pro for a closest facility, it's extremely slow. In arcMap we could load over 100,000 incidents in less than 5 minutes, in Pro it's more like 9 hours. Is there a way to get Pro to speed up? 

11 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

One of the main reasons loading locations can be slow is that the road feature class does not have a spatial index or the index needs to be rebuilt.

In the Catalog pane, find the roads feature class that is part of your network dataset, and right-click to bring up its properties. On the indexes tab, expand the Spatial index and either Create or Recalculate the index. More info here: Modify a spatial index—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Other reasons could be that the road data is on an external slow drive and it is taking a while to find the closest roads.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
melisahansen
New Contributor III

Recalculating the index does not improve the speed. It took 6 minutes and 25 seconds to load 603 locations. See below for the results. 

melisahansen_0-1682609132432.png

The data is being located from a location on a network, there is no local drive to access the data from as Pro is on a Virtual Desktop (VMware).

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The Virtual desktop/network drive is probably the limiting factor in the performance. If you draw the network, how long does it take? if it is slow that means the data access is slow as well when performing the locate.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
melisahansen
New Contributor III

The network which is quite large draws in about 20-30 seconds, so I'm not sure what the issue is. 

In addition to this issue, are there plans for a closest facility update where its not limited to 5000 records? In ArcMap, you can have many more, as we typically use over 180,000 incidents. 

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Is the ArcMap with the faster performance on the same platform? If yes, then Pro should not be any slower. Can you make your data available for testing? Create an issue with Esri Technical Support and we can follow up.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
melisahansen
New Contributor III

ArcMap in VMware is much faster, the same 603 records loaded in about 2 seconds. 

Do you know if there will be enhancements to allow more incidents to be loaded into Pro? We regularly use over 150,000 incidents and running them in 5,000 record increments will not be efficient.  

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you share your data? I would like to find out why it is so slow.

Another way to speed load locations is to first precompute the location fields by using the Calculate Locations tool to add the location information on the point features, Then at analysis time, use Load Locations with the network fields instead of geometry.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
melisahansen
New Contributor III

We are opening a ticket. I will post an update when I know more information. Thank you!

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean about the 5000 incident limit.  If you're using a local network dataset on disk, there should be no limit to the number of incidents or facilities you can load, but 5000 is the limit if you're using the ArcGIS Online service as the network data source.  Did you accidentally use the service instead of your desired network dataset? (Note that this would not explain your performance issue, since Add Locations just appends the inputs and does not calculate anything when the network data source is a service.)

Like Jay said, we probably can't help you much without your data or an official Support case.

0 Kudos