Km driving all roads (some need to be driven twice to reach others)?

11-17-2015 06:26 AM
BjarniSigurdsson
New Contributor II

Km driving all roads (some need to be driven twice to reach others)?

We need to drive all the main roads in Iceland. We are wondering how many km we need to drive. We see that some roads need to be dreiven twice to be able to reach all roads.

We have ArcMap basic - Spatial analyst - Arscan - Network analyst

Does anybody know this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a sum of the main road lengths would give the single traversal distance.

If you can identify which segments are traversed twice or more and classify them by their frequency, then you can apply that factor to their length.

I presume that you don't want to do a multi-origin multi-destination analysis within the Network Analyst since that would probably be overkill.

0 Kudos
BjarniSigurdsson
New Contributor II

No I do not know in advance which roads will be traveled twice. I was hoping that ArcMap would help me find a path with the fewest roads traveled twice:).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ohhh

OD cost matrix analysis—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Route analysis—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

are approachs.  In any event, the more you can simplify the problem by narrowing down the road network to only the roads to consider and the origins and destinations, the better the result you will have.  For example, if you only intend to travel on major roads...dump the rest (ensuring contiguity though between locations).  The worst thing you can do is throw everything into the pot and hope it works since there will be an inordinate number of calculations to perform.

0 Kudos
BjarniSigurdsson
New Contributor II

Thank you for your response. I have tried for a few days with the help of the many things on the internet, I give up!! I thought that it should be that hard.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sorry to hear that.  Perhaps my initial suggestion would be a starting point to at least get the sum distances for the road network.

If you were encountering errors, you should have reported back with them, there are people here that deal with this type of thing all the time.

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Maybe this would help? (topics about the traveling salesman problem and vehicle routing problem and such)

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//004700000053000000

0 Kudos