How to incorporate historic travel times to generate service areas

06-10-2013 10:37 AM
ChrisRichmond
New Contributor
Recently I was tasked with generating service areas for two locations in Los Angeles.  The customer wants to see the visual difference in the service areas based on the time of day the traveling nurses go out.  They aren't supposed to go beyond 30 minutes of the facility so they are trying to determine visually the best time of day as well as day of the week to go.  I am working in 10.0 and have ESRI's Streetmap Premium Advanced (NAVTEQ) but do not see an interface to allow you to enter the time of like you do in the routing analysis.  Is it even possible to do what has been requested with what I have?  My end goal was going to be generating service areas for Monday thru Friday every hour between 0800 and 1600.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Service area started supporting time at ArcGIS 10.1

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/What_s_new_in_ArcGIS_Network_Analyst/016w00000020000...

With 10.1 you can use the analysis tab to set the start time similar to the route solver.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
RobertGarrity
Esri Contributor
There is another option for you as a 10.0 user...As long as you have 10.0 service pack 5 installed, you can use the GenerateServiceAreas ArcGIS Online geoprocessing service. (10.1 users with service pack 1 can also have this option.)

Here is some documentation giving an overview of these kinds of services and on how to get started--this doc is in the 10.1 help, but it is the same for 10.0 sp5:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/What_are_the_ArcGIS_Online_network_analysis_services...

Once you connect to the service, the tool shows up in the Catalog window of ArcMap. It looks and acts like a GP tool, but it has a high-quality road network dataset built into the ArcGIS Online service, so you don't need to add a network dataset to your map.

Once you're connected, add a basemap, add your facilities, then open the tool, which will be in the Catalog window under GIS Servers > arcgis on logistics.arcgis.com > World > ServiceAreas > GenerateServiceAreas. The side-panel help of the tools dialog box should help you along, but let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Robert
0 Kudos
ChrisRichmond
New Contributor
I appreciate the responses, we are supposed to be upgrading to 10.1 in the next month or so and because of that I will just wait till then as this project didn't have a high priority.  Thanks again.
0 Kudos