How to calculate a large driving distance matrix for Haiti dataset?

01-19-2016 11:49 AM
EmreKirac
New Contributor

Hi

I'm new to ArcGIS, and I have just some basic knowledge about it. I have approximately 6000 locations with their coordinates (latitude and longitude), and I want to calculate the distance matrix for these location, but I need road (driving) distances not Euclidean. Please see the attached Excel file. I know I need to use the ArcGIS extension Network Analyst, which has a OD Cost Matrix option. I can plot my locations, no problem with that. But I cannot find a Haiti (Port-au-Prince) network dataset to calculate the distance matrix. I have tried to find online Haiti driving layers and different options including using openstreetmap. And it didn't work out, network analyst functions grayed out.

Could you please help me? I need this distance matrix for my dissertation.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
13 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Do you have street data you could build a network dataset from?

Creating a network dataset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

EmreKirac
New Contributor

Actually, I found street data from this link​. I did follow the network analyst tutorial, ​but I couldn't build a network dataset from this.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

When trying to build the network did you get an error?

0 Kudos
EmreKirac
New Contributor

No, I didn't get any errors, but when I try to use the network analyst tool, it was grayed out. I think I couldn't build the network correctly from the street data. Maybe it wasn't a right dataset. By the way, I forgot to attach my locations, I fix this.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Did you go to "Customize"->"Extensions" and toggle the check mark next to Network Analyst?

Did you load the created network into your map?

EmreKirac
New Contributor

Yes, I did go to "Extensions". I am not sure what I need to choose here.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 2.49.29 PM.png

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

That screen is for elevations and it doesn't appear that you have a field that indicates elevations. I would select None at the top and move on unless you need elevation.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Assuming you have a license for the Network Analyst Extension, you need to 'turn it on'  You can do that in ArcCatalog; go to the Customize Menu and select Extensions.  Or do the same thing in ArcMap.

edit- looks like Wes Miller​ posted his response when I was typing mine...

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As Joe and Wes said and skip Elevation field unless you know you have it and know how to use it.

0 Kudos