How to calculate a large driving distance matrix for Haiti dataset?

01-19-2016 11:49 AM
EmreKirac
New Contributor

Hi

I'm new to ArcGIS, and I have just some basic knowledge about it. I have approximately 6000 locations with their coordinates (latitude and longitude), and I want to calculate the distance matrix for these location, but I need road (driving) distances not Euclidean. Please see the attached Excel file. I know I need to use the ArcGIS extension Network Analyst, which has a OD Cost Matrix option. I can plot my locations, no problem with that. But I cannot find a Haiti (Port-au-Prince) network dataset to calculate the distance matrix. I have tried to find online Haiti driving layers and different options including using openstreetmap. And it didn't work out, network analyst functions grayed out.

Could you please help me? I need this distance matrix for my dissertation.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And as a question and suggestion. 

Are your point grouped into small clusters? ie like going from one town to many points in another town?

If they are, simplify your analysis in the first instance by performing the analysis from cluster to cluster if the cluster size is much smaller that the intercluster distance.

0 Kudos
EmreKirac
New Contributor

I skipped Elevation and turned the Network Analyst Extension again. It seems it works now, but since I have 6000 locations and none of them were clustered , it takes so much time even loading origin and destination locations. I'm still waiting for loading the locations into OD Cost Matrix. We will see how it will go. I will let you all know about this. Thank you so much for your help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

clustered can even mean multiple origins on one street to multiple destinations on another street.  If you have 10 origins on one street and 10 on another, this should really be simplified to a 1 origin to 1 destination, the slight differences in time/distance for a full matrix is really superfluous

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I agree with Dan-  and yes, you are right 6,000 locations is a lot to load up.  You may want to generalize them initially especially since you seem to be having a tough time with some of the basics.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos