Generate Server Area Polygons for a Parks layer (polygons)

Jump to solution
05-23-2013 09:20 AM
RuchiraWelikala
Occasional Contributor
Hi All,
So, this is the issue.
I have created a network dataset and have created ample service areas for various things. Things such as libraries, business locations, schools, etc. However, all of these were point files.
Now, I have a parks polygon feature class. I want to find the service area for these polygons. Is this possible?
I thought of taking the centroid but most of these parks are very irregular shapes and realistically, parks tend to have a lot of accessibility from different areas of the network. So, their reach throughout the network would tend to be much more than something like a library which may only have one point of contact to the network.

Hope someone can aid me with this task.

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
One way to do service areas from parks/polygons is to put points where the park entrances are. Then do service area from these points with the merge option. Alternatively you can intersect the parks polygons with the street network and use the intersection points as the starting points for the service area.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
One way to do service areas from parks/polygons is to put points where the park entrances are. Then do service area from these points with the merge option. Alternatively you can intersect the parks polygons with the street network and use the intersection points as the starting points for the service area.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
RuchiraWelikala
Occasional Contributor

Jay Sandhu

Thanks, Jay.
Also, I meant to say "service area polygons" in the title.
I think your second method is the most suited. The thing is, most of the time, the parks polygons don't intersect the road network. I've applied a rather generous search tolerance, so perhaps I'll try playing around with that variable until I get the intersect points down to a desirable number.

Thanks again, Jay.

Cheers,
0 Kudos