From-to and To-from information

04-27-2013 08:55 AM
FlorianPrummer1
New Contributor
Hi all,

I work on a network where I want to differentiate between driving direction in terms of speed, meaning that one direction should have a lower/higher average speed than the other one. I'm aware that for this I have to create new attributes, for instance something like "FT_speed" and "TF_speed". Then I would create new attributes where the information of the driving direction is held. And there is my problem: the Help says (e.g. here http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0047000001rs000000) that "0" indicates the starting point of the line feature "as defined by its digitized direction", "1" the ending point.
Well, I'm using OpenStreetMap data so I have no possibility to know the direction in which the feature was digitized, right? Am I missing some detail here? Or is there another way to get the info into the data?

Any help here is very much appreciated!
Best regards
Florian
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
FlorianPrummer1
New Contributor
In addition to that I have also a question regarding the creation of historical traffic data (basically related to the first post).
I have to connect my traffic information table with the geometric data that is stored in my street feature class. But how can I do so? Once again, according to the Help here http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0047000001rs000000 , this works via the attribute "EdgeFCID". In the tutorial data, the value of the attribute field is "1". Unfortunately I can't figure out any logic behind it since there is no metadata available which for instance explain the indexing of the feature classes within a GDB.
I hope anyone can help me out 🙂
0 Kudos
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
Hello!  I think I can answer your second post.

In Catalog, right-click on the feature class and choose Properties.  On the General tab, to the right of the text box for the Name field, there is a little button labeled "...".  Click on that.  It should open a dialog labeled Object Class ID.

Strange that the you have to find that hidden dialog, but that's it.  Hope that helps.

As to you first question
0 Kudos
FlorianPrummer1
New Contributor
Hi,
thanks for the response! This really solves the second issue.

Any suggestions or hints on the first one as well?

Best regards
Florian
0 Kudos
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
I see that you asked your first question on the OSM2NDS mailing list.  Hopefully that answer is sufficient.  Here it is, for the edification of other forum users:

"Hi Florian,

oms2nds reads and writes the vertices of OSM line features in the same order as they were digitized in OSM. Have a look at the network dataset attribute "Oneway". This restriction restricts roads based on the direction (From-To and To-From). You can use this network dataset attribute as an example for your case.

Best wishes,
Eva"

Also, within ArcMap, if you use the Network Identify tool on the Network Analyst toolbar and click on a feature, you will see a black arrow pointing in the direction of digitization.
0 Kudos
FlorianPrummer1
New Contributor
Hi,

thanks for all the help! Now everything works 🙂

Best regards
Florian
0 Kudos
FlorianPrummer1
New Contributor
Hi,

after creating my network, unfortunately I'm now facing another issue with my traffic data. The error log when building the network says "SourceName: streets_profiles, ObjectID: 19825, Network edge not found with positions 0,000000 to 1,000000". Basically it's the same error message for all the features with traffic data. My traffic table looks like shown in the attachment.
What detail did I miss there? If I delete the "EdgeFrmPos" and the "EdgeToPos" fields, the tables are not valid for the integration to the network. And what information is held by the attribute field "VAL_DIR"? It's not mentioned in the help so I figured that it's not a mandatory field. Is that correct?

Best regards
Florian
0 Kudos
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
Can I take a look at your data?  Please send me an email and I'll try it out.
0 Kudos
FlorianPrummer1
New Contributor
Hi Patrick,

thanks for the nice offer, but - don't ask me why 🙂 - it works now. I put everything in a fresh GDB, created a fresh Feature Dataset and built my NDS, and there was no error message this time.
Thanks for the good support!

Best regards
Florian
0 Kudos
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
Great!  I'm glad you were able to get it working.
0 Kudos