Find Network Subgraphs Prototype: Possible bug

Jump to solution
07-24-2020 12:58 PM
MikeSayre
New Contributor II

I'm using Find Network Subgraphs in ArcGIS Pro to identify groups of features that are disconnected from other features after a Network Dataset is built.  When I first tried using the tool, I had the network dataset edges loaded into the map.  For the tool's input parameter, I used the layer dropdown to select the name of the network dataset.  When I ran the tool, the messages indicated that it completed successfully.  However, no results were displayed in ArcPro.  I eventually discovered that the only way I could get the results to display in the map was to use the folder button associated with the input parameter to navigate to the network dataset's folder path and use the path as the input.  Using the network dataset path showed results; selecting the network dataset from the map did not.  The user guide indicates that I could use either as the input.  Is this a bug? 

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.5.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Mike.  Hmm, probably not exactly a bug, but just some unfortunate behavior.  I will look into it to see if there's a way around it.

The tool modifies the network source feature classes by adding an integer field to them to indicate which "subgraph" each feature falls in.  When the tool runs, it adds and calculates this field based on the network's connectivity.  When the tool finishes, it puts the source feature classes in the map and applies a certain symbology to them so the disconnected areas (all subgraph field values that are not 0) are shown in red.

I think since the layer was already in the map, it didn't re-add it, so it couldn't apply the symbology.  You can just manually symbolize the layer based on that field, or you can use the Apply Symbology From Layer tool to apply the symbology yourself from the .lyrx layer file included in the same folder where you downloaded the tool.

So in other words, the tool ran and produced the correct data.  It just didn't apply the symbology.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Mike.  Hmm, probably not exactly a bug, but just some unfortunate behavior.  I will look into it to see if there's a way around it.

The tool modifies the network source feature classes by adding an integer field to them to indicate which "subgraph" each feature falls in.  When the tool runs, it adds and calculates this field based on the network's connectivity.  When the tool finishes, it puts the source feature classes in the map and applies a certain symbology to them so the disconnected areas (all subgraph field values that are not 0) are shown in red.

I think since the layer was already in the map, it didn't re-add it, so it couldn't apply the symbology.  You can just manually symbolize the layer based on that field, or you can use the Apply Symbology From Layer tool to apply the symbology yourself from the .lyrx layer file included in the same folder where you downloaded the tool.

So in other words, the tool ran and produced the correct data.  It just didn't apply the symbology.

0 Kudos
MikeSayre
New Contributor II

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for responding so quickly.  Yes, when I manually opened the feature classes after the tool completed, I saw that the new subgraph field had been added and populated.  I had not tried to apply the symbology myself, but I can do that in the future if I already have the Network Dataset mapped before running the tool.  

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI, I did some testing and observed the same behavior you did. It seems to be a combination of factors outside my control, so I have added some additional information to the user's guide that comes with the tool download. It's essentially what I wrote in my earlier comment.  Just add the feature classes to the map manually if necessary and then run the Apply Symbology From Layer tool.