Select to view content in your preferred language

Exploring Network shows 0 minutes for Minutes Cost Value

Jump to solution
02-07-2022 02:37 PM
RachaelMurtaugh
Regular Contributor

I'm trying to determine service areas for our fire stations. I've built the Network Dataset, but when I add it and use the explore network tool, it is showing the miles, but 0 for the minutes. I calculated a minutes field in the file used to create the network dataset and put Minutes in the Result field for Costs and Evaluators. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I noticed in the screenshot of your evaluators that you're using a field called FT_Minutes in the Along direction, and "Same as Along" for the against direction. Usually fields with names starting with FT_ represent travel time in the from-to direction, and they are typically paired with a corresponding "TF_" field representing cost in the to-from direction (against the direction of digitization). Possibly you have an error here in how you've configured your evaluators.

That's unlikely to have caused the issue you're seeing in Explore Network, though, since it looks like the calculated Minutes cost value is 0. Either your FT_Minutes field is actually 0, or, more likely, you're looking at the wrong travel mode.

In the Explore Network pane, flip over to the Settings sub-tab and check which Travel Mode is being used. You might just need to switch it to whatever travel mode you intend to use for your analysis. If you haven't configured a travel mode on your network, you should do that, and set Minutes as your impedance attribute. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/travel-modes.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I noticed in the screenshot of your evaluators that you're using a field called FT_Minutes in the Along direction, and "Same as Along" for the against direction. Usually fields with names starting with FT_ represent travel time in the from-to direction, and they are typically paired with a corresponding "TF_" field representing cost in the to-from direction (against the direction of digitization). Possibly you have an error here in how you've configured your evaluators.

That's unlikely to have caused the issue you're seeing in Explore Network, though, since it looks like the calculated Minutes cost value is 0. Either your FT_Minutes field is actually 0, or, more likely, you're looking at the wrong travel mode.

In the Explore Network pane, flip over to the Settings sub-tab and check which Travel Mode is being used. You might just need to switch it to whatever travel mode you intend to use for your analysis. If you haven't configured a travel mode on your network, you should do that, and set Minutes as your impedance attribute. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/travel-modes.htm

0 Kudos
RachaelMurtaugh
Regular Contributor

I did change it to Minutes which is the name of the field in the attribute table that calculates time. That was a problem. The travel mode was also a problem. I can now get it to show me minutes when I explore the network. Thank you. 

0 Kudos