Editing/deleting vertices on network dataset line input deletes underlying edges

08-17-2015 12:00 PM
AndrewNelson
New Contributor II

HI,

I have modeled a few thousand turn restrictions along a network and am looking to make edits to a few problems areas.

When building the network dataset, some network Edges were not created from the input line data, but this was only noticed midway through the creation of the turns. Thus, when trying to create a turn restriction at the junction, it can't attach to the respective edge. Is there a common problem that causes this exclusion of edges when doing an initial network build?

Further, I have been deleting and a re-constructing my input line data to then rebuild into my ND--but when it's rebuilt it throws off some of the geometry of my existing turns, or eliminates vertices/edges in other areas.

I have experimented with the Integrate and Update by Geometry tools but cannot seem to find a consistent workflow to tackle these errors. Is there a way to re-create missing network edges without throwing off the rest of the network?

Thanks for any ideas.

(The images below show the input line data (pink) and the edges that were generated (grey))

geonet1.jpggeonet2.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThibautDelaere1
Occasional Contributor

Working with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3.1 I notice the same kind of behaviour.

I have an existing network dataset which is build correctly. After splitting polylines in a feature class that is part of this network dataset, I rebuild the network. But, some edges are missing in the network, while they do exist in de feature class.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I can't quite tell from your descriptions what the problem is, but it sounds like a potential bug.  Your best bet would be to report this to Esri Support.  They can investigate the problem and either help you fix your network or file a bug so our development staff can fix the issue.

0 Kudos