Creating a Network Dataset from Streetmap (bundled Data and Maps versinon)

09-29-2012 08:07 AM
MichaelMcWilliams
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I'm using ArcGIS 10.0 and I'm trying to get going with some Network Analysis. I'm trying to set up the Streetmap product that came bundled with ArcGIS as the network dataset. Previous threads have suggested looking for the streets.rs file. Unfortunately, I don't have this file in my directory for some reason. I can load the streetmap just fine in ArcMap, but I can't find a pre-made network dataset.

Is it possible to create one? How might I do that? Must I convert the data somehow?

Thanks for your help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

If I got you right then I assume you've got the Data & Maps for ArcGIS product which does not include a compiled street network dataset (.rs file you refer to). The ready to use network dataset for routing purposes is shipped as part of another product called Esri StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS.

You can naturally take the compressed SDC file of the streets and convert it to a feature class and then compile your own network dataset, however you'll not get any turn restrictions and signposts information used for route guidance (aka Directions in Network Analyst). If you still want to give it a try, you might look at the source detailed streets dataset over North America available from ArcGIS.com.

A good tutorial on building an own network dataset to start with is available here.

EDIT (sourced by Jay Sandhu in the post below): The free Data and Maps DVD comes with the streetmap product. This HAS the network already compiled and built and ready to use. The Streetmap Premium has the latest streets whereas the free one is a few years old but still pretty useful.

Somehow missed this 🙂
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If I got you right then I assume you've got the Data & Maps for ArcGIS product which does not include a compiled street network dataset (.rs file you refer to). The ready to use network dataset for routing purposes is shipped as part of another product called Esri StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS.

Correction here: The free Data and Maps DVD comes with the streetmap product. This HAS the network already compiled and built and ready to use. The Streetmap Premium has the latest streets whereas the free one is a few years old but still pretty useful.

Perhaps you should re-install the data from the DVD or contact tech support to download it if you do not have it. That is, it is available to download from the customer care portal.

Regards,
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
MichaelMcWilliams
New Contributor
Thanks guys! There must be something wrong with my installation, so I will try to re-install first. Much appreciated!
0 Kudos