Create Network Dataset from Template using 10.6

08-11-2022 11:18 AM
JoshuaWhaley1
New Contributor

I'm trying to create a network dataset to facilitate the creation of shortest routes between un-indexed points. 

I have used TIN triangulation to create a network fabric that is extremely basic (no turn modeling etc required), I can create the network dataset and run the route tool manually with no issue, but when I save the file as a template, and try to create a network from that template (again, a very basic template) I get error 030070 (Invalid Network Dataset Type). 

Is there anything I may be skipping that is required to have a usable template?  I am creating the template from a GDB line feature and the created network will be used within a GDB. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hmm, that error code is a very generic error that doesn't give me any clues about what might be going wrong.

In general, to successfully create a network from a template:

• The input feature dataset must contain feature classes with the same names as the source feature classes from the network used to create the template
  • All those feature classes must have the same schemas as the originals

But the tool should give you more specific errors if any of those conditions are not met.

ArcMap 10.6 is very old software by this point (actually, it will be completely retired by the end of 2024).  Have you tried your workflow in ArcGIS Pro?  Do you get the same error?

Not that I want to discourage anyone from using Network Analyst or ArcGIS generally, but since your use case doesn't seem to require any transportation functionality, I wonder if you've considered using the networkx Python package.  This package makes it very easy to create non-geographic networks and run graph algorithms very quickly.  That said, I don't know what you're really trying to do or what your desired output is, so this may not be appropriate.

0 Kudos