ArcMap Find Route Tool - Error Consuming Map Service (Cannot Setup Routing Service)

09-24-2011 09:55 PM
DanielBaternik
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I'm having issues consuming a ArcGIS Server Map Service (with Network Analyst enabled) using the Find Route tool in ArcMap. When I attempt to configure the Find Route tool to use the service it shows a 'Cannot Setup Routing Service' error message. I can't see anything within the logs either.

I'm new to NA so I'm a bit stuck as to what the fault is. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

My setup is as follows:

* I have a Network dataset in an ArcSDE 10 SP2 database.
* I have proven that the NDS in SDE works correctly by using it directly as input to the Find Route tool. In this case, the route and directions are produced correctly.
* My next step is to try to consume the NDS as a service. I have created an MXD by dragging the NDS from SDE into the map. I've clicked Yes , when prompted to bring in related datasets (i.e. junctions \ centrelines) and have used the Network Analyst tool to create a Route layer within the map. The route layer seems to be stored within the MXD and has a GUID data source. The map has no selected features \ resolved routes in it. I've then published this MXD as a Map Service to a local instance of ArcGIS Server 10 SP2 with the Network analyst capability enabled. I can view the REST end point and it shows a route method. But as soon as i try to consume the service in ArcMap via the Find Route tool it shows the aforementioned error.

Any ideas?

cheeres

Dan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
SebastianLuhmer
New Contributor
Hi Folks,

just wanted to ask if this issue has been solved or if there exists a workaround? I have the same problem within ArcGIS 10.2. I created a Network Dataset an published it as a service, but when I set this (my own) service as Routing Service instead of the ArcGIS Online Routing service, an error-popup "Cannot setup routing service" appears.

Thanks in advance for all kinds of hints!

Sebastian

EDIT: Like dingle wrote above, the solution is to connect to the services with the network analysis funtion as user and not as an admin or publisher. Then you can use you own service for routing. I don´t understand why because the admin-connection is the connection with the most-rights but anyway. It works and thats fine.
0 Kudos