ArcMap Find Route Tool - Error Consuming Map Service (Cannot Setup Routing Service)

09-24-2011 09:55 PM
DanielBaternik
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I'm having issues consuming a ArcGIS Server Map Service (with Network Analyst enabled) using the Find Route tool in ArcMap. When I attempt to configure the Find Route tool to use the service it shows a 'Cannot Setup Routing Service' error message. I can't see anything within the logs either.

I'm new to NA so I'm a bit stuck as to what the fault is. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

My setup is as follows:

* I have a Network dataset in an ArcSDE 10 SP2 database.
* I have proven that the NDS in SDE works correctly by using it directly as input to the Find Route tool. In this case, the route and directions are produced correctly.
* My next step is to try to consume the NDS as a service. I have created an MXD by dragging the NDS from SDE into the map. I've clicked Yes , when prompted to bring in related datasets (i.e. junctions \ centrelines) and have used the Network Analyst tool to create a Route layer within the map. The route layer seems to be stored within the MXD and has a GUID data source. The map has no selected features \ resolved routes in it. I've then published this MXD as a Map Service to a local instance of ArcGIS Server 10 SP2 with the Network analyst capability enabled. I can view the REST end point and it shows a route method. But as soon as i try to consume the service in ArcMap via the Find Route tool it shows the aforementioned error.

Any ideas?

cheeres

Dan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JadeFreeman
Occasional Contributor III
I'm having the exact same issue.  Did you ever find a resolution?
0 Kudos
DougSchenk
New Contributor
I also am in the same situation.  Any feedback on this error message from ESRI (or anyone else) would be so much appreciated.

Sincerely, Doug Schenk
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

We have seen this error reported previously by those working with data from the DVD. You have copied the data from DVD to local machine, correct? All parts of the data were downloaded and reference the original location of data as existed on disk? For instance the streets network dataset uses a number of other SDC datasets and if it or the datasets have been moved, relative to their original location, then errors will occur.

If you still are experiencing this error when accessing data from local machine and are current in ArcGIS maintenance, please submit a support request via Esri Support site.

Cheers,
Denise

0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
My apologies, I posted to this thread without realizing original poster was using SDE data and not SDC data format on DVD so my response is likely off base as I focused on the error message. The Network Team is investigating this reported issue and will post test findings when complete.

Thanks,
Denise
0 Kudos
DougSchenk
New Contributor
It appears, in our case, that the error message goes away, and the tool becomes usable, if you build a network including the optional one-way attribute, and possibly a time attribute, in addition to the default length-based cost attribute.
0 Kudos
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor
We were able to reproduce the issue and have identified it as a known problem. We are working to fix the issue. I will provide more details as to which ArcGIS 10 service pack will resolve this issue once we have a fix for it.

Thanks for reporting this and for your patience.

Deelesh Mandloi
0 Kudos
ZaheerHaider
New Contributor
I have seen same error problem after installing sp3 and i published routing services on Local Arcgis Server and Config is Arcgis Server 10 SP3 any development about resolution of this issue??
0 Kudos
ZaheerHaider
New Contributor
Route generate on desktop with find route tool for network geodatabase but tool doesn't work for Routing Service. i realy warry about that from last week i stukkkkkkkkkkk
0 Kudos
SteveMulberry
New Contributor
I had the same issue, after working with Esri support we found out that you have to connect to the service as a user not an admin. In my case that helped me get around this issue.
0 Kudos