ArcMap - Creating new route from scratch

Jump to solution
12-07-2012 05:35 AM
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Hello,

I am evaluating a trial copy of ArcMap and would like to plot routes on the map so I can later optimize using Network Analyst. I am new to the software and so I have been having a lot of trouble with it.

I was able to import my data from excel and geocode origins and destinations separately. These have been saved as two different shape files layered on the map.

I would like to plot of a route of the different origins and destinations using these two distinct shape files. I tried creating a route feature class but kept getting error messages. Can someone help??

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Hmm, that's odd. Are you running the Copy Traversed Source Features tool from ArcToolbox, or are you using it within a script tool (ie, calling it from Python)?  If it's in Python, you're probably referencing the wrong layer or referencing it incorrectly.  Can you include a screenshot or some code or something?

~Melinda
0 Kudos
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Hey,

I am using ArcMap ArcToolbox and not working from Python. My input layer (first option) was Routes layer i had created from previous geocoded start and stop points.

Here is a screen shot of the error code I am receiving. Any alternative solution would also be appreciated. Thanks for everything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20399[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Instead of using the Copy Traversed Source Features tool, use the Solve tool to solve the layer again. Does it run successfully? If you get the same error message then you have probably moved the network dataset and/or the route analysis layer to another location and may need to "repair" it. The Copy Traversed Source Features tool needs to re-solve a saved route layer to be able to generate the traversed edges.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Jay,

I was able to use service area tool in network analyst extension to get a 300 mile service area drawn. The route analysis layer seems to be fine.

Do you think the line density tool will be able to give me same information on the busiest routes from the route layer?
0 Kudos