AcrGIS 10 Network Analyst Service Area "Insufficient Memory" Error

07-18-2010 05:43 AM
TrentPark
New Contributor
Windows 7 64 bit OS, ArcGIS 10

I'm having a problem solving a service area using the network analyst extension.  I've tried running the 600 minute (10 hour) drive time using both a navteq street network dataset and the streetmap network dataset from the 9.3 sample data.  I could not find a network in the ArcGIS 10 sample data.

I know it's a large service area but I'm running on a fairly beefy desktop with a fresh OS and 6 GB of RAM.  Arcmap seems to be maxing out utilitizing around 1.5GB before throwing the following error:

"Error: There is insufficient available memory to make allocation polygons"

I ran into a similar problem a year ago solving complex service areas and was able to correct that problem using the chunking settings outlined in the following knowledge base article:
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=30760
but even with those settings I'm still having the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

trent

Update:
I went back and added QWORD (64-bit) Values in the registry to replace the DWORD values.  Service Areas seem to work with lower times.  250 minutes and 500 minutes seemed to solve correctly.  600 minutes still fails with a new error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\bin\ArcMap.exe
abnormal program termination
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TrentPark
New Contributor
Maybe this should be entered as a help ticket?  Just wanted to check the user community first to see if anyone had a quick suggestion.  Thx.
0 Kudos
ThitiratP
New Contributor
I also got the same problem. It happened when I tried to run service area in Network analysis function. My facilities was downloaded about 600 places with the 90 km. service area. If anyone know how can I solve this problem, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Greaty
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
I also got the same problem. It happened when I tried to run service area in Network analysis function. My facilities was downloaded about 600 places with the 90 km. service area. If anyone know how can I solve this problem, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Greaty

You can solve the 600 places with 90 Km service area by following the suggestions in the following KB article:
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38426

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Maybe this should be entered as a help ticket? Just wanted to check the user community first to see if anyone had a quick suggestion. Thx.

For large service areas such as 600 minutes the service area can run out of memory especially in dense street network areas. For 10.1 we have added a hierarchical option to service area that will solve much larger problems very quickly. You can sign up for ArcGIS 10.1 beta (comming out very shortly) and use it to solve with your data.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos