Unable to click on destinations to get information after first click

01-25-2017 10:54 AM
_____
by

We just purchased 5 user licenses of the Navigator app. We are using iPad Air 2 and iPad Pros.

I've made an internal web app that allows users to search for our facilities, and if the search is successful, then it adds the facility as a destination. Once they've added all their destinations, they click a Generate Route button that emails the route to them in the Navigator app link format.

Then they open this email on their mobile device, and click the link and it opens the route in the Navigator app.

This all works great, but for some reason you can only click on a destination once to get information about it.

For example, if the route has 3 destinations, when the route first loads I can click on destination 1 and see information, but then I can no longer click on anything else to get information. It's like it's all frozen.

Navigator bug

Is this a known bug? It's a huge pain not being able to click on a destination and see the destination stop name.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Ian,

Glad to hear you're up and running with Navigator! Let me try and answer a few of your questions.

Based on your description it sounds like you would like to tap on a destination, pan, and then tap on a different destination. After tapping on each destination you would be able to see the details panel for that stop. The frozen behavior you've experienced when following this workflow is a known bug that we are planning to address for next release. Once you tap on the first stop you are taken to the "Edit Route" page. From here you cannot tap on a different destination. There is a workaround that might help you in the meantime. Instead of tapping off the first destination or on to another one, tap the chevron (<) instead. This will take you off the "Edit Route" screen and you will now be taken back to the "Summary" screen. From here you should be able to tap another destination.

As far as the picture goes, here are a few comments:

• It is by-design that you should not be able to tap on the destinations while actively navigating. If you really need to see destination names while on the go, you could "End" navigation, which would bring you back to the "Summary" screen. From here, you could see the destinations by either tapping on "To: Multiple Destinations" or by tapping on the destination on the map.
  • Tapping on the direction header should not "do nothing". Whenever you tap the header you should have the directions for the next maneuver spoken to you.
  • You are correct that tapping on the mileage and time badges do nothing. Were you expecting those to do something in particular?

I hope this answers some of your questions. Let me know if you'd like some more details or if you have any other issues.

Best,

Joel

0 Kudos
_____
by
After tapping on each destination you would be able to see the details panel for that stop.

That is correct.

It is by-design that you should not be able to tap on the destinations while actively navigating. If you really need to see destination names while on the go, you could "End" navigation, which would bring you back to the "Summary" screen. From here, you could see the destinations by either tapping on "To: Multiple Destinations" or by tapping on the destination on the map.

For our use case, I'd prefer to be able to tap a destination while in navigation mode. I work for an electric utility, and the destinations are support structures (poles), and surface structures (vaults, pedestals, sectionalizers, and switchgear). These structures all have a facility number in the format 1 01 10 12 2001. When reaching a destination there can be a lot of other structures in that same location, so it's really nice to be able to click on the destination to see the stop name, which is the structure number.

Tapping on the direction header should not "do nothing". Whenever you tap the header you should have the directions for the next maneuver spoken to you.

You're correct, this is what it does.

You are correct that tapping on the mileage and time badges do nothing. Were you expecting those to do something in particular?

No, not necessarily, but since you asked, I could see it showing totals, such as total distance, and total time for the entire route.

After typing this out, I've realized the main feature I'd like to see is having the ability to click on a destination while in navigation mode and see information, such as the stop name. Because we are always pulling over to the side of the road, and it's nice to just click on the destination while in navigation mode to check what the structure number is. A lot of the time we have to walk a distance from the road to find the structure.

Also, one more issue I've noticed is that when you are in the Edit Route window, and you delete a destination it automatically recalculates the route right away. When you have say 70 destinations, and you want to delete multiple destinations it's a painful process because it recalculates each time you delete one.

I think it'd be better to not recalculate until AFTER you hit Done on the Edit Route window. Just a thought.

_____
by

After thinking about this a bit more, why not just add the stop name of the current destination somewhere in the direction header box? That box is huge, and it should be possible to incorporate the stop name of the current destination in there somehow. That'd help us out a lot.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ian, thanks for all the great info. I will pass all of this on so we can consider the changes for the next release. I sent you a direct message with some additional information.