Navigator map download fails with ESRI maps.

Jump to solution
03-17-2017 04:18 PM
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

I am trying out Navigator for the first time, on a brand new iPad mini 4 running iOS 10.2.1.  I can login to Navigator, but when I try to download either the California map or the USA WEST Region map, they bomb out after quite awhile of downloading.  I have tried the download on numerous wifi connections, and it is always the same result.  Any ideas?  I believe these are ESRI created maps...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ken,

Yes, in addition to downloading Maps within the app, you can also side load the Mobile Map Packages to your device through iTunes. To do this, browse the device in iTunes and navigate to the Apps section. Select Navigator for ArcGIS and then drag and drop the Mobile Map Package file to the Apps directory.

Joel

View solution in original post

15 Replies
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Ken,

What errors are you running into? Do you have enough room on the device to download the map?

Thanks,

-Brent

0 Kudos
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

The download always fails after an hour or more of downloading.  It reads "Invalid Map" and always has downloaded 368 bytes.  Then the error message reads - "Failed to Open Map.  This map is not compatible with this version of Navigator.  Please update the mobile map package."

It does this for any and all maps that I try to download.  This is on a brand new iPad mini which should have more than enough room on it to store maps.

Ken

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Ken,

I'm looking into this so we can try and get this issue fixed. Can you successfully download either of these maps? Both maps are under 100mb and shared publicly.

Monaco (Esri authored) -- http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=2244bb48091c444d9a917c63ccf01831 

TutorialMobileMapPackage -- http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ad057e7a3ffb4f368cfe6c782a8c25ff

Also, if you sign into ArcGIS Online with your named-user, can you download the maps you're having issues with?

Thanks,

Joel

KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joel,

I was successfully able to download both maps.  I'm also able to see both in ArcGIS Online.  I am in the process of downloading the California map through ArcGIS that was giving me trouble in Navigator.  It will probably take awhile on my work connection...

0 Kudos
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

Joel,

I was able to download the California map on my computer at work, but through a wired connection - not wireless.  If the problem seems to be large downloads on my iPad, is there any other method to get the maps downloaded on the iPad besides the wireless connection through Navigator?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ken,

Yes, in addition to downloading Maps within the app, you can also side load the Mobile Map Packages to your device through iTunes. To do this, browse the device in iTunes and navigate to the Apps section. Select Navigator for ArcGIS and then drag and drop the Mobile Map Package file to the Apps directory.

Joel

KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joel,

That seemed to work just fine with side loading the maps through iTunes!  Thanks for the help.  I don't know if this points to the problem being our wifi connection or something else, as I've tried to download the maps on multiple wifi connections.  Maybe those larger files just time out on the downloads.  But the iTunes solution works!

Thanks,

Ken

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Awesome, glad you have a workaround in the mean time! I'm going to continue looking into this so we can try and understand what you're running into. Are there any other details that could help me reproduce this? Are you connected to a VPN while connected to the WiFi? Have you tried to download on anything but your internal WiFi?

KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

The only details I have that might help to reproduce the problem is that this is a brand new iPad mini 4 with up to date iOS.  The problem initially presented itself on my work wifi connection (no vpn connection).  The wifi connection is generally fairly fast.  I took the iPad home and tried downloading on my home wifi connection, which usually runs around 50mbps download speeds.  It failed to download there as well.  The map that I was trying to download was the California map (2.2 gb) and the USA West Region map (5.6 gb).  I was successful in downloading the much smaller Monaco map (82.2 mb) and the TutorialMobileMapPackage (95.9 mb).  It seems as though it might have something to do with the downloading of the much larger files.  I would have to contact my Department's IT staff in order to figure out any of the details on our wifi connection.

0 Kudos