Navigator map download fails with ESRI maps.

Jump to solution
03-17-2017 04:18 PM
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

I am trying out Navigator for the first time, on a brand new iPad mini 4 running iOS 10.2.1.  I can login to Navigator, but when I try to download either the California map or the USA WEST Region map, they bomb out after quite awhile of downloading.  I have tried the download on numerous wifi connections, and it is always the same result.  Any ideas?  I believe these are ESRI created maps...

0 Kudos
15 Replies
EricIto
New Contributor III

Ken, can you upload the file that is 368 bytes? My guess is that file is more like an HTML response that we were expecting to be an MMPK file. That would explain the "invalid map" error you see. 

0 Kudos
WinstonMcKenna
New Contributor III

More of general question about the map download: Are there any alternatives besides in app downloads and the side load from iTunes? I imagine that others would like to have a general alternative or option for downloading the state or regional maps to Navigator, especially when wi-fi strength and connectivity is an issue. For many of us using iTunes is not necessarily a viable option for use. Specifically, could Esri make available the state or regional mmpks on AGOL for download (then upload to Navigator)? 

WinstonMcKenna
New Contributor III

I think Esri misses the boat by not having a universally viable alternative to download maps. For those of us who have work restrictions with security protocols, iTunes will never be feasible. So, let's get going Esri mobile team and find all of us users some good solutions!

0 Kudos
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Winston McKenna‌,

I believe that the reason that mmpks need to be loaded via iTunes rather than some other method for side loading is that with iOS, you are limited to side loading apps and data through iTunes.  I believe this is an Apple security feature.  Have you found another way using different apps to get data onto your device?

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Alexander

SMauri
by

Same problem here while downloading Italy maps from Wi-Fi connection (signal not very strong) on devices running Android 6.0. Any idea for download package in a different way?

0 Kudos
AlexanderNohe1

For Android, using the Android File Transfer utility, you can transfer files to:

/Android/Data/com.esri.navigator/files/downloads/123.mmpk

This will be a way to sideload mmpks without needing to download them onto the device over WiFi.