Does Navigator allow for optimized "milk" routes?

Jump to solution
04-24-2017 08:24 AM
JoshV
by
Occasional Contributor

For example i use the office, 4 stops, and want to end back at the office.  Optimization always puts the office as the first and second stops.  Any way to fix that? Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Josh,

That workflow makes sense. I actually have an existing ticket open to add this sort of functionality to the url scheme in the form of an additional parameter https://github.com/Esri/navigator-integration . This would allow you to provide a start, numerous stops, and then return to your start location.

For your example (creating your route in app opposed to a url), we'll likely need to make some ui changes to support this correctly. I'll add a new issue so we can see about supporting this workflow in a future release. In the meantime, you can work around this by moving the second stop (ie the return destination) to the end of the route list. This will prompt you that optimization was turned off, however your route should remain the same. If you need to add additional stops, you can simply add the new stops, toggle optimization button, and then move the return destination to the end again.

Hopefully this helps until we can get this addressed in an update.

Thanks,

Joel

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

How are you going about creating your route? Are you manually inputting the stops in Navigator or using a url scheme to pass in the stops?

Thanks,

Joel

JoshV
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joel,

The stops are created in Navigator as the user chooses an asset name from the search.  Navigator is optimizing the shortest route correctly by putting in the office location as the first and second stop but it's almost like it needs just an extra logic statement that says if the user puts in the same stop twice then they must be trying to end their route back at that stop.  Thoughts?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Josh,

That workflow makes sense. I actually have an existing ticket open to add this sort of functionality to the url scheme in the form of an additional parameter https://github.com/Esri/navigator-integration . This would allow you to provide a start, numerous stops, and then return to your start location.

For your example (creating your route in app opposed to a url), we'll likely need to make some ui changes to support this correctly. I'll add a new issue so we can see about supporting this workflow in a future release. In the meantime, you can work around this by moving the second stop (ie the return destination) to the end of the route list. This will prompt you that optimization was turned off, however your route should remain the same. If you need to add additional stops, you can simply add the new stops, toggle optimization button, and then move the return destination to the end again.

Hopefully this helps until we can get this addressed in an update.

Thanks,

Joel

JoshV
by
Occasional Contributor

Ho Joel,

Yes I noticed that y'all had the functionality to drag and drop the stops around in the list which is neat but not always accurate.  Putting the office location at the end and beginning does indeed disable the optimization but it won't always be an optimal route by doing that manually.  at any case, the UI update you mentioned would in fact work and be very handy for certain users.  Thanks for passing along the URL parameter passing to Navigator, I'm sure I can utilize that eventually