What is the next generation ArcGIS Monitor release?

11-30-2021 10:38 AM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

What is the next generation ArcGIS Monitor release and what is the migration workflow?

14 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

There hasn't been any announcement on when the next release of ArcGIS Monitor will be out.  Given the presentation at UC, I am thinking next year alongside the next release of ArcGIS Enterprise but I can't say for sure.  There is also no current information about a migration workflow, but that will come out when the release date is announced.

Royce_Simpson
New Contributor III

Any more info on this?  I just upgraded my Server implementation to 10.9.1 and see that Monitor is still at 10.8.1.  Monitor is such an important part of our setup that having no info on its upgrade path and seeing that it's still at 10.8.1 is a little concerning.

UPDATE:  Did a little more poking around that it looks like the new version is in development and perhaps an early adopter release soonish.  Does anyone have a link to any presentation or material on what the new version is going to be like?

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

There is not any additional information on a release date or upgrade path of the new version of ArcGIS Monitor at this time, but here is a presentation from the 2021 Esri Dev Summit that talks about the new look and updated features (starting at 23:36).

ArcGIS Monitor is making REST calls to gather information from Enterprise, so even though Enterprise is at a new version the technology behind the scenes is still the same.  The difference in versions won't cause any functionality to be lost.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @BillFox and @Royce_Simpson

What is the next generation ArcGIS Monitor release and what is the migration workflow?
Any more info on this?  

We are actively working on the next ArcGIS Monitor release. It has a brand new architecture and framework. We should have an early adopter alpha release very soon. If you're interested in participating, please send me an email: dlaw@esri.com.

@Royce_Simpson - I know you've already reached out.

We're targeting late Q3/Q4 2022 for the first official release. Apologies for the delay.

Hope this helps,

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi @DerekLaw  - will Monitor at 10.8.1 be able to monitor Enterprise 11 - i.e. be forward - compatible? 

We will likely update portal and our hosting site to 11 (to take advantage of Field Maps calculations, new Instant Apps, updated Living Atlas) but probably won't be able to fully abandon the federated site at 10.9.1 until we fully migrate to the Utility Network later this year.

So if we do pull the trigger early on 11, it may be helpful if our Monitor could remain at 10.8.1 for the time being.

@Royce_Simpson 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi @DavidColey

> ... will Monitor at 10.8.1 be able to monitor Enterprise 11 - i.e. be forward - compatible? 

ArcGIS Monitor 10.8.1 should work with ArcGIS Enterprise 11, we don't expect any issues. However, we haven't done compatibility testing, as Enterprise 11 is not final. The Monitor Dev team is busy working on completing the next Monitor release.

Hope this helps,

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yes it does, thanks Derek

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Derek, 

Is there any update on this? We didn't find this in the documentation but would like to know if Monitor 10.8.1 is compatible with Enterprise 11? Thanks!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi @Amanda__Huber,

> .... would like to know if Monitor 10.8.1 is compatible with Enterprise 11? 

EDIT: ArcGIS Monitor 10.8.x has not been tested with Enterprise 11. It might work, but is definitely not supported, nor being promoted by Esri. 

Hope this helps,

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos