Have dug through the documentation thoroughly and checked myself multiple times on this. Attempting to use the ArcSOC optimizer or the Excel Reports extensions causes 403 returns and appears to be an issue with python calls.
I have attempted to use multiple different user accounts for the authentication needs of these extensions and used both direct connections to individual machines or an F5 BigIP based VIP that's load balancing across multiple machines all with the same 403: Forbidden results. Have confirmed all accounts that were used can call the token page in Chrome from the AGS Monitor server just fine and with all URL variations was successfully able to authenticate with all user variations.
Unfortunately, the Excel Reports extensions fails to capture any logs but within Monitor it does throw a 403: Forbidden response. ArcSoc does log this and I have attached an example of those logs. Naturally, this isn't a Help Desk supported item and not yet convinced it's worth shelling out the credits to address this with the Prof Services team.
In addition to successful authentication, both the ArcSOC optimizer and Excel Reports extensions need file level permissions to create an Excel file during execution. In the case of ArcSOC Optimizer the extension will try to write a .csv to <Drive>:\ArcGIS Monitor\Administrator\resources\app\bin\ArcSOC Optimizer\Reports. In the case of Excel Report, the extension will try to write a .xlsx to the "reportPath" in the config.json, such as <Drive>:\ArcGIS Monitor\Administrator\resources\app\bin\Excel Report\Reports. If the user executing the tasks (Monitor Service) is forbidden to write the files, they will need to be granted permissions. If you need more help with extensions, Esri Professional Services offers consulting support for ArcGIS Monitor extensions: http://www.esri.com/arcgis/services/consulting
hey Scott Fierro were you able to address the 403 issue. I am having the same problem. Am I supposed to be using the Site monitor account, local machine account, or my domain account with machine admin rights?
No I never was able to resolve these issues and we didn't deem it worth the costs of brining in the consultants over. Per their statement above you'd go into your servers services list and identify the user that is running the "ArcGIS Monitor Service" found in the description column and should likely be a service account you created in your domain as the "ArcGIS Monitor Server" should be running off the LocalSystem user.
I had verified all these pieces and still couldn't get this to work. Unfortunately, as they make specific note to point out, these extensions are not in any way supported by the Help Desk and just to test those waters I did send it over but got the same response back as the one here. Likewise, and I didn't notice it until now, despite that having clearly been demonstrated as not being the issue the "solution" provided here was anything but an actual solution but someone managed to mark this response as the solution and move it off to the answered side of things when in fact it wasn't.
Sorry I can't help much more than that but can say I dumped a slew of BUGs and ENHs on them for the core product outside of this issue and have chosen to just let the existing installs stew for a bit until my priority projects calm back down and updated releases to this software are released which hopefully resolve some of the BUGs and ENHs allowing us to make better use of the tools at which point I will likely do full rebuilds and see where things lay at that point.
That pretty much fits where I am sitting. Can't get it to work, don't really feel it needs full attention for an extension feature to schedule emailed reports.
Thanks for the response. I agree, hopefully this issue and some other features get flushed out and fixed to work a little better.
Hi Michael, HTTP 403 is returned when the client is not permitted access to the resource for some reason besides authentication. HTTP 403 - Wikipedia . As mentioned before, in the context of Extensions for ArcGIS Monitor, it's typically a permissions issue at the file level or user level. If you already explored that and need additional help with extensions, Esri Professional Services offers consulting support for ArcGIS Monitor extensions: http://www.esri.com/arcgis/services/consulting
Ok, so I am stubborn and figured out how to get the report to work correctly.
It isn't based on the Local/Domain user account, or the Monitor's build in Site account, but the Monitor Site Users used to login to the web front, that you have to create using the Monitor Administrator console, to give permission for each registered collection.
Making sure that you also give that login user Admin rights to all the Monitoring Services from the Permissions section.
After this, the file created properly in the Reports folder I have setup.