ArcGIS Monitor reports CPU Utilization over 100%?

Jump to solution
05-17-2023 07:48 AM
JCGuarneri
Occasional Contributor II

As I'm getting used to the new Monitor software, I'm noticing I'll get errors periodically for CPU Utilization exceeding 100%. Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't seem right and makes me question some of the other metrics. Looking at Monitor 10.8.1, I don't see any corresponding CPU usage spikes for the affected machine, whether I look at ArcSOCs or the system as a whole.

I mostly see this related to PostGres and ArcSOC processes. Is there something I can tweak in the settings, or is this a bug?

I'm using the 2023.1 release.

JCGuarneri_0-1684334674407.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

It appears like this is a single value.  We'll consider limiting it to 100% to stop alerting with the current default settings.  In the meantime, If you change the aggregation to 95% and/or increase sample to 5, it should stop alerting, @EvanMosby 

AndrewSakowicz_0-1684420764690.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

Agree, cpu process > 100% does not make sense.  And we've seen this occasionally. However, ArcGIS Monitor process reports windows api results.  So there might a problem with windows reporting.  FYI, 10.8 we capped the reporting to 100%, therefore you would not run into this case.  In any case, this stat points out high activity by one or several arcsoc processes.  Can you share CPU utilization on this host for the corresponding time.  Also, do you see a particular arcsoc process that is using high cpu? @EvanMosby @GeoJosh 

JCGuarneri

That's interesting. Here is the overall CPU utilization for that host at the same time as a high reading from this morning. At that same time, the ArcSOCs for our #1 and 2 heaviest use services are at 150% and 25% cpu, respectively.

JCGuarneri_0-1684346698396.png

JCGuarneri_1-1684346803197.png

0 Kudos
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

The host CPU looks OK.  The process CPU spike (single value) appears to be some sort of edge condition with WinRM reporting for this particular process counter case.  Is this spike just for arcsoc.exe process?  How often does it happen, 12 hours?  In any case, thank you for reporting it. We'll keep an eye on this and if able to reproduce, try to address it. 

JCGuarneri

I see that for both arcsoc.exe and postgres.exe, probably 3-4 times a day for each. Not a huge deal right now, but I would love to be able to have alerting and notifications on those processes without getting my inbox flooded with spurious results!

0 Kudos
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

It appears like this is a single value.  We'll consider limiting it to 100% to stop alerting with the current default settings.  In the meantime, If you change the aggregation to 95% and/or increase sample to 5, it should stop alerting, @EvanMosby 

AndrewSakowicz_0-1684420764690.png

JCGuarneri

Thank you, I've done that. I hadn't noticed the Percentile option. That's a nice touch! I really like the level of customizability that you all have worked into the new version. I just need to learn how best to use all the new features.

AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

Thank you!

0 Kudos