Any way to identify if a server is offline?

Jump to solution
05-31-2022 01:27 PM
CarlVon_Stetten1
New Contributor II

I've configured all of our production-tier servers in ArcGIS Monitor, and have System counters being monitored for basic things like CPU/memory/disk activity.  This works very well.

The one thing I can't figure out how to do is to set up some kind of monitor/alert if a system has completely gone offline.  We had a VMware outage over the weekend that took down 5 or more production-tier servers.  If Monitor had a way of identifying that had happened and sent an alert, we could have resolved the issue before start of business today.

Anyone have an idea of how to monitor for system failures?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Monitor will send out email alerts if it's unable to collect information or a system is not reachable (and it keeps sending those alerts until the problem is corrected). If Monitor was on any of the machines that went down, there would be no way for it to send out that email alert.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Monitor will send out email alerts if it's unable to collect information or a system is not reachable (and it keeps sending those alerts until the problem is corrected). If Monitor was on any of the machines that went down, there would be no way for it to send out that email alert.

0 Kudos
CarlVon_Stetten1
New Contributor II

The Monitor wasn't one of the machines that went offline, but I did not receive any notification about the others being unreachable.  It looks like I hadn't configured the "Send email to:" "All" section, only the "System" section of the notifications.  I have now added myself to the "All" section, so hopefully that will give me an alert if a server goes offline again.

0 Kudos