Nautical Symbology?

Jump to solution
11-23-2020 10:30 PM
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hello Maritime masters!

I really really need your help for adjusting the nautical symbology.

I've generated an ENC and it works ok (for me). I wanted to apply some nautical symbols provided from Esri. 

Is there any way to use the symbology for Oceans and Waters (aka chart symbology)? I know there's calculate symbology in ArcGIS Desktop, but I don't know how it works and mine didn't seem to be working in a right way.

Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hyun-minJoo,

I have a quick question for you: Do you currently have the latest version of ArcGIS for Maritime installed? Including its most recent patches? If so, there are two layer files available for you to use. If not, please obtain the latest patch for either 10.7.1 or 10.8.1, and these will be added to your local installation folders.

Navigate to your install directory (for example C drive)  \Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\MaritimeCharting\Desktop10.8\Charting\Cartography\Symbology (Please adjust as needed if you have 10.7.1 and not 10.8.1)

You have the choice of using the ENC Editing.lyr file for S-52 symbols, or the INT1_Editing.lyr for paper chart-like symbols.

1. Open a new and empty map document.
  2. Load the layer file of your choice.
  3. Select one of the broken data links (I suggest AidsToNavgationP), right-click the layer and chose Data > Repair Data Source.
  4. In the Data Source dialog box that appears, navigate to your maritime database, open the database, open the Nautical feature dataset, then select the layer (in this case, AidsToNavigationP). This should repair all broken data links.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

@Anonymous User 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hyun-minJoo,

I have a quick question for you: Do you currently have the latest version of ArcGIS for Maritime installed? Including its most recent patches? If so, there are two layer files available for you to use. If not, please obtain the latest patch for either 10.7.1 or 10.8.1, and these will be added to your local installation folders.

Navigate to your install directory (for example C drive)  \Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\MaritimeCharting\Desktop10.8\Charting\Cartography\Symbology (Please adjust as needed if you have 10.7.1 and not 10.8.1)

You have the choice of using the ENC Editing.lyr file for S-52 symbols, or the INT1_Editing.lyr for paper chart-like symbols.

1. Open a new and empty map document.
  2. Load the layer file of your choice.
  3. Select one of the broken data links (I suggest AidsToNavgationP), right-click the layer and chose Data > Repair Data Source.
  4. In the Data Source dialog box that appears, navigate to your maritime database, open the database, open the Nautical feature dataset, then select the layer (in this case, AidsToNavigationP). This should repair all broken data links.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

@Anonymous User 

hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Thanks Andrea for your help!

It was successfully done to change the symbol for my maritime charting 🙂

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm so glad to hear that! 🙂 Best of luck!

@Anonymous User 

0 Kudos