Custom Nautical Charts as a Service

11-21-2019 02:51 PM
MrinmayeeBharadwaj
Esri Regular Contributor
1 2 1,035

Many of us in the maritime community have already seen NOAA’s recent announcement, outlining their plan to sunset traditional nautical paper chart production. As one of the alternatives, NOAA has provided a service that allows you to print your own custom chart. But did you know, that in addition to making charts directly from S-57 data (Electronic Nautical Charts), this same custom chart application can also be used to combine nautical charts with other data and information services, like bathymetric and topographic content? With the chart on demand web app, creating a custom chart, like the one in the cover image for this article, takes just a few easy steps:

The article's cover image was made by combining a service containing NOAA nautical chart data, the USGS Web Map Service, and a Bathymetric Attributed Grid (BAG) Hillshade. Here are some other examples of custom charts I’ve made, takes less than 5 min. each. NOAA ENCs, NOAA Estuarine Bathymetry, World Hillshade and World Topographic Map Service:

All the services I used are freely available on ArcGIS Online. I hope you enjoy creating your own custom mash-ups. If you want to know more about how you can leverage traditional maritime data formats as web services, please contact us at maritime@esri.com 

Cheers!

*Blog taken from Craig Green's LinkedIn post.

2 Comments
GuyNoll
Esri Contributor

If you are interested in providing comments to NOAA's plans, please consider addressing the opportunities this ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8+ workflow will create. For example, recreational boaters who use visual navigation methods with Custom Charts will be able to use up-to-date imagery. As with the original decision to release S-57 ENC freely to the public, I expect that this change will drive innovation in the delivery of navigation services as well as new uses of Marine Spatial Data Infrastructure.  Please see Captain Rafael Ponce's presentation about MSDI from the Busan meeting of the MSDI Working Group for the IHO in March 2019 for more information about this important initiative.

GuyNoll
Esri Contributor

NOAA Office of Coast Survey has just announced a webinar for 9 January 1100 Eastern presenting their Custom Chart solution - Register for NOAA Nav-cast webinar: How to obtain NOAA ENC-based paper nautical charts – NEWS & UPDA...