Why cannot open .aix? - AI 25.0 update cannot "see" my ArcGIS Maps for Adobe CC extension

10-22-2020 04:11 PM
KennethWright
New Contributor II

Hi - as of today (22 Oct 2020) my Illustrator cannot open .aix files ("unknown format and cannot be opened") as in the screenshot. I think this is related to an Illustrator update to 25.0. I can't figure how to resolve this. I'm installing on my desktop computer, I'm the administrator. I'm signed in both to my Adobe CC and ArcGIS accounts. I have re-installed Illustrator 3 times now, and the extension several times, too, trying different parameters.

My standard install is downloading from the ESRI AM for ACC website with default folder locations and selecting "Anyone who uses this computer (all users)". I can see the extension installs files into what I believe is the correct folder (I've attached a Windows Explorer view of it). I think this remains the correct folder because I tried installing a random (and free) extension from the Adobe Exchange website (EAN13 Generator, it apparently makes bar codes) and it installed to this same folder and can be seen in Illustrator just fine (at the bottom of the attached Windows Explorer view as "com.mslv.ean"). The second screen shot is from inside Illustrator, having clicked Window - Extensions. I can see the new "EAN13 Generator" but what I really want to see is the ArcGIS Maps extension so I can continue my work.

Hoping there's an easy solution --  Ken

17 Replies
XingdongZhang
Esri Contributor

Hello Ken,

Sorry to hear the troubles you have gone through. The current version Maps for Adobe 2.1 doesn't support Adobe's new Illustrator and Photoshop 2021 versions. We are working on a new release to address that. The new release will be available soon. The delay is caused by a fundamental issue in Adobe's 2021 apps, which can cause extensions to freeze/crash. We are working with Adobe to have the issue addressed. For now, you need to stay with Illustrator 2020 (v24) to run Maps for Adobe extension and import aix files from ArcGIS Pro. 

Thanks,

Xingdong

0 Kudos
KennethWright
New Contributor II

Thank you Xingdong -- I have uninstalled v25, re-installed v24 (Illustrator 2020) and importing .aix works again.

Cheers, Ken

0 Kudos
AlexSmith6
New Contributor

I have uninstalled Illustrator 2021, then reinstalled 2020, and I am still not able to use .aix files.  In 2020, I can at least pull up the ArcGIS plugin, whereas I could not in 2021, but I still cannot use .aix files. Very frustrating, especially since Adobe did an auto-update the day before I was supposed to give a presentation on the ArcGIS Plugin for Adobe.  I am not able to give the presentation now.  I have even tried uninstalling 2020 and reinstalling again with the same issue.  Thank for any advice you can give.

0 Kudos
XingdongZhang
Esri Contributor

Hello Alex,

Sorry to hear about the problem and the inconvenience you went through for your presentation. Did you uninstall/reinstall Maps for Adobe after you install Illustrator 2020? That should fix the problem. Our new release update that supports the new Adobe CC 2021 will be available very soon. While waiting for the new update, you can have Adobe 2020 version installed side by side with 2021 and use our app in Illustrator 2020.  

Thanks,

Xingdong

0 Kudos
AlexSmith6
New Contributor

Thank you, this worked.  I had uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin while I was still using Illustrator 2021 before I saw this thread and reinstalled 2020.  I did not think to uninstall/reinstall the plugin again.  Looking forward to the update for Adobe CC 2021!

wparra_ripco
New Contributor II

Having this same problem. Has it been updated for illustrator 25 yet?

MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Adobe Illustrator version 25 is supported. If you have the latest version v2.2.1 this should work. Can you please check the version number of the extension? Its avaialble on the Sign in screen (lower right) or if you are already signed via the Panel menu under help. Support for CC 2021 was released at v 2.2. Download the latest from this link. Let me know if you continue to see an issue with the latest.

0 Kudos
wparra_ripco
New Contributor II

I have v2.2.1 of Maps for CC. It is still saying that the .aix is an unknown file type. 

0 Kudos
MaryMc
by
New Contributor II

Hi, I also tried v2.2.1 and it did not work with my Illustrator v25 on iMac. I just installed Illustrator v24 and the extension was able to recognize and open aix file. I'd really like to figure out how to make it work with Illustration v25 though.

0 Kudos