Using ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud with ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
04-05-2018 01:09 PM
DalindaDamm
Occasional Contributor

I have 2 main questions regarding the ability for work with ArcGIS Pro exports within ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud:

1. Is it known yet when this will be an option? My understanding is that currently, local data and ArcGIS Pro exports are not supported.

2. What ArcGIS Pro export formats will be supported?

The most up to date information I have found about this is within an Idea post (https://community.esri.com/ideas/12663-arcgis-pro-export-to-illustrator) response from Kory Kramer‌ on 11/2/17.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClintLoveman
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Dalinda Damm‌, we are still working out the plan/specifics internally so no firm date/timeline as of yet when this feature might show up. We do hope to have more details on timeline by UC...regarding your 2 questions:

1. There are options to use local data right now, we just added KML/KMZ support, but you can also use shp/csv/txt using the "Add Layer from File" option. YouTube demo showing this.

2. Outside the files listed above, the future plan is to allow adding an "enhanced" PDF export out of ArcGIS Pro. 

Hope that helps.

Clint

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ClintLoveman

Hi Dalinda Damm‌, we are still working out the plan/specifics internally so no firm date/timeline as of yet when this feature might show up. We do hope to have more details on timeline by UC...regarding your 2 questions:

1. There are options to use local data right now, we just added KML/KMZ support, but you can also use shp/csv/txt using the "Add Layer from File" option. YouTube demo showing this.

2. Outside the files listed above, the future plan is to allow adding an "enhanced" PDF export out of ArcGIS Pro. 

Hope that helps.

Clint

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Clint, thanks for chiming in.  I hesitated to mark your answer "Helpful."  On one hand, I wanted to acknowledge that you engaged and shared some information, which I like to see from Esri staff.  On the other hand, the lack of a bigger picture plan with interchanging data between Pro and Adobe products is pretty sad.  Although ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud is fairly new, ArcGIS Pro has been out for 3+ years.  What kind of message do you think this sends to design professionals?

DalindaDamm
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response cloveman-esristaff. One point of clarification...you mentioned "when this feature might show up". Is there still a question on if ArcGIS Pro exports will be able to work with ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud?

I wanted to tangentially echo bixb0012‌ comment in that I am a bit discouraged by the lack of progress on this topic. Being able to work on ArcGIS Pro products/exports with Adobe Illustrator functionality is absolutely critical for my client, and based on the many comments posted in the Idea post on this same topic, it sounds like it is a big deal for a lot of users.

I do appreciate the information you have shared and will be interested to see what news there is come the UC. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DalindaDamm
Occasional Contributor

I have an additional question coming from this. cloveman-esristaff‌ mentioned KML/KMZ, shp, csv, and txt files as options for consuming local data with ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud. Is there a plan to also support the file geodatabase feature class format? If not, I would encourage Esri to seriously consider it since, at least for the work myself and my clients are involved with, we use gdbs much more frequently than the other data formats listed above; I suspect we are not the only ones.

0 Kudos
ClintLoveman

Dalinda Damm‌ thank you for the direct read of FGDB data suggestion, this has been requested before. So we'll keep it in our backlog for future considerations. Right now the suggested workflow for GDB would be, which I understand has some overhead, is to publish your FGDB data as a service and then consume it in Maps for Adobe...not as direct as you'd like I know, sorry. Related to this and Joshua Bixby‌ 's comments/questions related Ai support in Pro, our focus is on to support a "map export" from Pro into Maps for Adobe first, before we'd look into supporting direct read of FBDB. 

DalindaDamm
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the informationcloveman-esristaff‌!

0 Kudos