Problem exporting from ArcGIS Pro to AIX

08-24-2020 05:26 PM
AletheaSteingisser
New Contributor II

I am exporting several layout files from ArcGIS Pro to AIX. Several have worked fine, and others export with no content. When I open the aix files through Illustrator, they are not the size I exported, and there is no content. I've tried exporting only the vector data. I've tried exporting only the raster terrain. We've rebuilt the map and created a new layout with the same results. I've opened and closed Illustrator and Pro and started from scratch - nothing. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi Alethea Steingisser‌, 

Thanks for reaching out and sorry that you are seeing this issue. Could you please confirm your ArcGIS Pro, Adobe Illlustrator and ArcGIS Maps for Adobe versions? Also can you attach one of you pro project files/ layouts that is not exporting (no content) to this to take a look.

Thanks

Madhura

0 Kudos
AletheaSteingisser
New Contributor II

Hi Madhura,

I'm using Pro version 2.6.24783
Illustrator 24.1.1
I think I have ArcGIS for Adobe 2.0.1. I see that in the help menu. Where do I confirm that?

Here's a link to one of the failed exports:

Science8Panel_Individuals7.aix - Google Drive 

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Thanks Alethea! Looking into this now. Will send you a message.

0 Kudos
AletheaSteingisser
New Contributor II

I can package part of the project but the project is huge and I'll need to extract the particular maps. Let me know if that's what you need instead of the aix file. 

Carl_Sack
New Contributor II

Was this issue ever taken care of? I am having the exact same problem. I have tried exporting a layout several times now and each time I open it in Illustrator, I get the wrong sized artboard with no content. Everything is up to date - ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1 (just updated from 2.6 to see if that would fix the issue, and it didn't), Illustrator CC 25.2, ArcGIS Maps for Creative Cloud version 2.2.1.

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi @Carl_Sack

From my understanding, the original issue with this map was machine related and they were able to get expected results on a different machine with the same map (sorry we should have marked this post resolved).

With regards to what you mention, is this with a specific layout or with any layout? Does a map export work differently? What is the difference in size - feel free to attach a screenshot or related data. 

Thanks

Madhura 

0 Kudos
Carl_Sack
New Contributor II
Thanks for the quick response. First off, I don’t think it would be right to consider this issue “resolved” if the resolution was switching computers with no understanding of what was causing the underlying problem. I suspect what is going on here is that ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Illustrator is silently failing to open and render the .AIX content. I suspect this because it previously worked on my computer as recently as a week ago, but when I opened an AIX file I would briefly see the empty, generic-3x5-landscape artboard before the extension took over and unpacked the AIX content. Yesterday it simply wouldn’t do the second part. I tried exporting the AIX multiple times and from multiple projects stored in multiple directories, with the same result. I even restarted the computer, and that did not fix the issue. Nor did logging out and logging back in.

This morning I tried again, and it DID work… sort of. There is no clipping mask for the map frame. Unfortunately this means I can’t replicate the original problem, so I can’t send you a screenshot of the generic artboard. Is there any way to access a log file for the extension? I wonder if that might reveal something.
0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi @Carl_Sack 

Thanks for your note. If your project/ AIX is sharable feel free to attach here. I can try on my machine to replicate. Regarding logs - unfortunately for that we will need to setup a debug environment and loop in tech support. At this point we can leave this open to try and get a consistent case to reproduce this behavior. 

0 Kudos
CoreyFong
New Contributor II

Hello

I am getting the same empty results when exporting an existing project, new project, or imported .mxd file.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2

Illustrator CC 25.2.1

I am switching back to ArcMap in the meantime.

Corey