How to properly export and open an .aix?

09-22-2021 05:19 PM
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

In the olden days of ArcMap, the .ai export function was pretty good. Not perfect, but when you opened up your .ai, it looked like your map.

I'm just getting around to using Maps for Adobe now that a working release is finally out. However, I'm having issues opening an .aix and getting it to look right.

rburkebsrc_0-1633102043622.png

(Student homes removed for safety)

See that? Where did the polygons go? Where did the frame outline (and the clip group it should have created) go? Earlier, I had an inset on this map, and it would only export parts of the inset. Either I'm missing something or there are some problems with this extension. The PDF opens in AI fine. Would appreciate some pointers if anyone has any.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anna_Breton
Esri Contributor

Hey there @wayfaringrob,

Can you clarify which versions of Pro and Maps for Adobe you are using? Additionally, if possible, you can attach your AIX file and map package here. We can take a deeper look into this issue to try to get you a solution. 

Best, 

Anna

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@Anna_Breton 

ArcGIS Pro - 2.8.3

Adobe Illustrator - 25.4.1

Maps for Adobe - 3.0.1

For sensitivity of student home locations, I'd rather not share that data here publicly. If you're thinking it's bug-related, I could open a support case.

0 Kudos
Anna_Breton
Esri Contributor

@wayfaringrob No problem, it does sound like this is a bug so opening a support case would be very helpful. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi @wayfaringrob 

A similar issue was reported by another customer. They were able to workaround the problem by checking Embed Font ON when they exported from ArcGIS Pro. Sharing here incase this helps. The team is investigating the related issue further. Hope this helps. 

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Hi @MadhuraPhaterpekar, that worked, thank you!

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Seems to have only worked for that file. Having similar issues again even with the box checked:

rburkebsrc_0-1635285275839.png

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi @wayfaringrob

Seems unexpected. Might need to take a closer look at this map, layout & export settings. Possible to share here or with Esri tech support as a case. 

Best regards

Madhura

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I haven't had to go the AIX route lately, but it seems to happen with most of my maps:

rburkebsrc_0-1638835944529.png

This was with embed fonts checked. I'll try opening as a case.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

All, this has been created as #BUG-000145439: .AIX files exported from ArcGIS Pro do not display properly in Adobe Illustrator. Severity is marked as 'high.'

0 Kudos