The product library setting In guide book, which one is true.

12-17-2012 01:02 PM
AlecWu
by
New Contributor
I found some confusing description about "Versioning within the product library" in the guide book for maritime charting, as the following:

Between

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Creating_and_setting_the_nautical_product_...

and

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Configuring_the_nautical_product_library_g...

Which one is true?

THANKS
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GeoffreyGomez
Esri Contributor
First, thank you for bringing this to our attention. The second topic you provided the link for has been updated recently and should be used as guidance for setting up an Enterprise Product Library.

(version all tables with the exception of the ELM and UCE tables)

We will take action to update the other topics to ensure they are consistent.

I hope this helps you. Please let me know if you have any further questions related to setting up your Product Library.

Regards,
Geoff
0 Kudos
AlecWu
by
New Contributor
Here are some questions remaining :
1. From the description in guide book, all tables should be versioned except ELM, UCE.... and Pcat_NIS,Pcat_ENC??
     Pcat_NIS "table" doesn't exist, and there might be some mistake in the guide book.

2. Should the Pcat_NIS, Pcat_ENC  "feature class" be versioned also?

3. After versioning finished, do i have to do any process of archiving?
    In the first thread i post, there is also a difference between the two guide page, and the difference is about "archiving"
0 Kudos
GeoffreyGomez
Esri Contributor
Here are some questions remaining :
1. From the description in guide book, all tables should be versioned except ELM, UCE.... and Pcat_NIS,Pcat_ENC??
     Pcat_NIS "table" doesn't exist, and there might be some mistake in the guide book.

In the first thread i post, there is also a difference between the two guide page, and the difference is about "archiving"

Hi,

I wish to go through your questions one by one to make sure that I provide you with enough information for each. Before I do, can you tell me the version of the software are you working with? My assumption is that you are not on the 10.1 release as I am certain the sample PL (GDB and XML) contains the PCat_NIS_AOI feature class.

I will reference the second help topic you provided and I confirmed was accurate in the last post. http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Configuring_the_nautical_product_library_geodatabase...

Based on the contents of the PL provided out of the box at 10.1, the instructions intend to aide with selecting all of the tables and version them in one step. As a result, the items listed in step 2 of the topic should be excluded from your selection. You can do this in the contents portion of ArcCatalog using the shift and ctrl keys to narrow the selection.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20409[/ATTACH]

Yes, in step 5 of the topic it says to select the three AOI feature classes (PCat_ENC_AOI, PCat_CHART_AOI and PCAT_NIS_AOI) and version them. The reason behind doing this in two steps is because you cannot register the tables and feature classes at the same time.

No, at 10.1 you do not need to archive the items you registered as versioned. This is old guidance and will be corrected based on your input. Again thank you for pointing this out.

Please let me know if this helps you. I look forward to your response about the software version you are on. Also depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you may be able to use the sample PL as a file GDB for evaluation purposes. This may simplify your effort.

Thanks!
Geoff
0 Kudos
AlecWu
by
New Contributor
I really appreciate.
You help a lot.

Thanks
0 Kudos