OIS creation and ArcGIS workspace environment

06-26-2013 06:31 AM
GabrieleMurchio
New Contributor
Hello,
1: How can i create OIS  in arcgis aviation: Charting? Which is the workflow starting with the gdb creation? I've tried in ICAO annex
15 function , with z enable runway and AIS schema applied to the gdb.  The script stops with error 000735: 'surface value is required'

2 : after creation , is that possible to visualize, edit  and extract features ('obstacle') in argis environment using las or raster dem format ?
thank you
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AeronauticalSolutionTeam
New Contributor II
Hey Gabriele,

First, please see another similar post outlining some of the requirements for the ICAO 14 OIS tool you may find useful.  http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/82780-HELP-TOOL-ICAO-Annex-14?p=291771#post291771

The error you are seeing seems like the parameters for any of the surfaces are not populated.  This typically means the ObstacleSurfaceParameter table is either not present or not populated within your Production Database.  Depending on your version of ArcGIS, we have removed this requirement in newer versions meaning you can run the tools without the table.  The latest version of ArcGIS for Aviation is 10.1 SP1 QFE5 and can be downloaded here http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/157/metaid/1983

As for the visualization of obstructions, this is possible in ArcScene.  Our recommendation is that all datasets used for a visual analysis in ArcScene must be in the same projected coordinate system.  Some feature layers may need to have an extrusion applied using the actual height of the object. 

In the upcoming 10.2 release, the ArcGIS for Aviation package will offer an automated analysis tool that currently compares TIN OIS features against point features and LAS files.  The output of this tool is a point feature class outlining all features within the comparison areas and the difference between the obstruction and the OIS surface. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
0 Kudos
GabrieleMurchio
New Contributor
Hi and thank your for your quick and clear reply. Some comments are written below
please let me know as possible,
regards
Gabriele

Hey Gabriele,  

First, please see another similar post outlining some of the requirements for the ICAO 14 OIS tool you may find useful.   http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/82780-HELP-TOOL-ICAO-Annex-14?p=291771#post291771  

The error you are seeing seems like the parameters for any of the surfaces are not populated. This typically means the ObstacleSurfaceParameter table is either not present or not populated within your Production Database. Depending on your version of ArcGIS, we have removed this requirement in newer versions meaning you can run the tools without the table. The latest version of ArcGIS for Aviation is 10.1 SP1 QFE5 and can be downloaded here   http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/157/metaid/1983.  

I've checked : the table exist ,but i cannot populate that table with the production library , i don't know why . So i tried to install the patch , but while following letterally the pre-requirements , appears this message:"Impossible to install the patch because there isn't the sw (???) to be update or the version is different....." .Please see in attachment if my sw profile is wrong.

As for the visualization of obstructions, this is possible in ArcScene. Our recommendation is that all datasets used for a visual analysis in ArcScene must be in the same projected coordinate system. Some feature layers may need to have an extrusion applied using the actual height of the object.  

Ok, perfect

In the upcoming 10.2 release, the ArcGIS for Aviation package will offer an automated analysis tool that currently compares TIN OIS features against point features and LAS files. The output of this tool is a point feature class outlining all features within the comparison areas and the difference between the obstruction and the OIS surface.  

Very good news . This tool could become the new commercial standard for obstacle chart production

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
0 Kudos
GabrieleMurchio
New Contributor
Hi , i've just update to the  MC SP1 patches 5 , but same error appear with another  prefix, see jpg screenshot in attachment, [ATTACH=CONFIG]25587[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25587[/ATTACH]

Gabriele
0 Kudos
AeronauticalSolutionTeam
New Contributor II
Hey Gabriele,

From the error messages you have provided, it seems your ObstacleSurfaceParameter table is empty.  From here you have two options.  With MCS 10.1 SP1 QFE5 installed,you can delete the ObstacleSurfaceParameter table from your Production Database and the OIS tools will simply use the default values from the specifications.  If you want to maintain your own values within the table, your second option is to populate the table with the recordset XML I have attached.  You should be able to do this using the simple data loader. 

If you are in an enterprise environment, don't forget to enable versioning on the tables to ensure you will be able to edit them.
GabrieleMurchio
New Contributor
Hello again , and thank you for your previos clearify. I'm not arrive to produce Obstacle surface yet . I've tried again using  both method sugegsted (with and without OIS parameters) without success .Latest attempt error report in annex ,
thank you
0 Kudos
AeronauticalSolutionTeam
New Contributor II
Hey Gabriele,

Thank you for the screenshot of the geoprocessing message. From the message it seems the Output Feature Class is not being recognized.  It is clear you have entered it as a parameter on your Z drive in a file geodatabase.  My next question is the Z drive locally on your machine or over a network? 

If this is a network drive, can you please try the same workflow locally on your machine?  Another thing to possibly try is to define a new shapefile as an output to the tool as well.  You can do this by navigating to a folder location and defining a shapefile name and type (eg. OISOutput.shp). 

If neither of these suggestions work, please let me know and we can schedule a webcast with you to see your workflow and help you through this.