Matching addresses for new polygons?

Jump to solution
05-16-2018 11:18 AM
MarlanaZink1
New Contributor

Hi there! 

I just created polygons of building footprints from a figure ground map that I georeferenced (i.e. raster image --> polygons), and now I have building outlines with a mostly empty attributes table. I am wondering if it's possible to have ArcGIS somehow match these buildings to an address that would go in the attributes table, or if this is something that I have to do manually, by searching each building's address and typing it in myself? 

I played around and created an address locator, then tried to reverse geocode the polygons that way, but I just ended up creating points that didn't show up anywhere on my map....(when I clicked "zoom to layer", it just took me all the way out into the projection of the entire world, lol.)  I do not have X,Y coordinates. What I

Current attributes table...what I

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

If you have access parcels with location address on them you could perform a spatial join between your building footprints and parcels to get the address; if you have address points you can do the same.  Other than that, I think you are looking at a ton of manual editing.

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

If you have access parcels with location address on them you could perform a spatial join between your building footprints and parcels to get the address; if you have address points you can do the same.  Other than that, I think you are looking at a ton of manual editing.

MarlanaZink1
New Contributor

Oh my goodness, it wasn't perfect but it worked for the majority of the buildings! I had parcel data this whole time and didn't even think to use it / had never done a spatial join before. This was so much simpler than I thought it would be- thank you!!!! 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Awesome!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

I also noticed that in the Geocode Addresses tool you did not map a table field to "Full address" input field, it's set to none. So the result would be all unmatched records. Another option is to convert the building footprints to points using the Polygon to Point tool, then using the Reverse Geocode tool, then spatially join the reverse geocode result to the building foot prints feature class.