Massively turn on or off layers (toggle visibility)

Jump to solution
07-04-2016 10:15 AM
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have tons of layers (120) and wich to turn them off all at once, I know it can be done by making groups, but it will not work as they belong to more than one group...

Is there a way to toggle visibility to OFF to all visible layers at once instead of clicking the box for each one?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you try multiple select and drag?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Are you using ArcMap? If so, hold down Ctrl while toggling visibility to toggle all.

HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

I'm using Desktop Pro ver1.2

the CTRL works when selecting one by one, alright. ... but not the SHIFT like when selecting several files on windows explorer...

0 Kudos
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

also, is there a way to group them quickly?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you try multiple select and drag?

HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

oh yes... and the drag and drop is not working. I managed to create the group, but unable to add more layers to it...

cheers!

0 Kudos
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

I had the filter selected... my bad. thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
LarryHeard
New Contributor II

I have a similar need.

I would like to see the following expanded capability of app interactive features. I would like to be able to select a group of layers that would enable users to select one from many layers. This would work similar to HTML form radio buttons. There are situations in which the map is confusing when the user selects more than one layer at a time. It would be nice to be able to create groups of layers controlled by radio buttons. Is there a way to do this now? Have I overlooked something?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well, a checkbox is used to turn off/on whole groups regardless of settings within a group and then there is the ultimate switching dataframes

0 Kudos
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

Hold down your <Ctrl> key, then use your mouse (or similar) to click one of the layer visibility boxes.  All will turn off or turn on based on the original status of the one you clicked.  Experiment with that approach in and out of group layers.

edit:  hmmm...  and what Darren Wiens​ said right up there at top.  His is the correct answer.

0 Kudos