Issue with conversion of .dbf file into X,Y coordinate data for ArcMap?

11-27-2018 08:06 AM
MichaelWeigel
New Contributor

I have a series of datafiles of all place names within several different countries saved as .dbfs that I'd like to display in ArcMap. Each row contains an ID as well as a latitude and longitude value; however, whenever I attempt the conversion ArcMap doesn't allow me to select the corresponding lat/long columns within the 'Display X,Y Data' action window. I've attached one of the relevant .dbfs and a screenshot of the issue to assist anyone who may understand this issue better than I.

I've skimmed through several online help files on this topic, but don't fully understand where the issue lies and/or what steps I can take to rectify this issue. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Mike.

I took a quick look and you need to change your 'data type" form "text" to, say, "Double". All else looks OK.

You can create a shapefile from your corrected table in ArcCatalog. . . right click/create feature class from x-y data. Make the coordinate system WGS84 when your lat/long is in decimal degrees.

Good luck,

Joe

MichaelWeigel
New Contributor

Very helpful, thanks so much! One minor question though about that editing process: Do I need to convert the .dbf file into an Excel format first to change the data type? I would've hoped there would've been an easy method to make that change within ArcMap, but it doesn't appear to be very obvious at first glance. I apologize if that's a basic question; I'm rather new to this program!

Thanks again,

Michael

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

You are right, Mike. Edit the data type in Excel. There is an Excel to table tool . . .try this method also. This will give you the added performance in landing data that will project on the fly. You will need to Define Projection (use your correct UTM zone).

There are other methods and advise out there. Try a couple and save an example. You will run into this again!

MichaelWeigel
New Contributor

I converted the dbf to an Excel file and changed the data type from "text" to "number" for the relevant LAT and LONG columns. However, when I attempt to perform the 'Display X Y Data' operation, I'm now only given the option of using the ID field (see picture). This remains true whether I add the data as an Excel doc or as a dbf. I have no clue what might be causing this issue, but would definitely like to rectify it. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

Mike, you are getting close. I advised using "Double" for the data type. Try that.

0 Kudos