interactive selection method - add to current selection - ArcMap

08-01-2017 08:57 AM
LeidaThomas1
New Contributor II

In ArcMap, I am creating selection sets of parcels that I am adding to a new layer.  I  may need some parcels added, some taken out.   How do I add parcels to my selection set?  I have tried the "Interactive Selection Method - Add to current selection" and it does not work.  I have tried copy and pasting these records to the selected attribute table.

I have used the help menu with every kind of text, arrangement, comment to try to get this answer.  I think I should be able to quote the drop down menus verbatim, to get an answer, Not! So frustrating!

Maybe help items should have the place for people like me to tag where we think the topic should be found, like "add to selection set", once I actually find what I am looking for.

Even coming here to try to get an answer is confusing.  How am I going to figure out if anyone answers????  Asking a question to figure out how to ask a question so I can get an answer to a question?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeidaThomas1
New Contributor II

I figured out how to get back here by reading the GeoNet-Help,

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Leida. Try searching for "About editing attributes" (in Help/ArcGIS Resource Center/Search ArcGIS Resources). I believe you will find a workflow that will work for you.

Another possible angle at this is the Union tool . . . .Geoprocessing/Union

Union combines selected features into one new feature. Although the features may be from different layers, the layers must be of the same geometry type—either line or polygon. Union maintains the original features and their attributes—that is, the selected features are not deleted or edited during the Union operation. The new feature is created with the chosen template using the default attribute values. For example, with Union, you can use some selected parcels to create a polygon representing a neighborhood crime prevention area.

Hang in there!

Joe

LeidaThomas1
New Contributor II

Joe,

Thanks, I will try Union, sounds like it will work.  And the tip to check "About editing attributes", in the ArcGIS Resources.  I could use all the help I can get.