I can't see my shape file and DEM file on the same map.

Jump to solution
02-12-2017 12:31 PM
RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

I have map with a vector shape file and a raster DEM file.  Only those two layers on the map.  In the Table of Contents, when I right-click on either layer and click Zoom to Layer, the layer shows on the map.  But, when I Zoom to one of the layers, the other layer does not show.  How can I get both layers to show at the same time on the same map.  Is this something to do with the Geographic Coordinate System or the Projection of either layer or the Data Frame?  I checked the Properties and Source and all three show GCS_North_American_1983.   Do I need to Transform or Project something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It IS a GCS NAD 83, it is defined as such, it is not in a projected coordinate system (PCS.. like a UTM projection)

the NAD83 is a datum, which just describes the 'shape' of earth, it is a model of earth

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the files all have a GCS (geographic coordinate system) defined and they don't show up in the same place, you should examine the extent of each layer from within the properties dialog to see if the coordinates are within range of expected decimal degree ranges.  If one of them has large values, it may be the case that the Define Projection was used on the file, in which case, it is wrong and the appropriate definition needs to be given.  the Project tool should be used to project data, not Define Projection.  If one of the files does not have a defined coordinate system, then it needs one

AbdullahAnter

Dan Patterson Champion  is correct, also you can check by using base map and see what is in right coordinate and what is shifted.

RickCheney

Thank Dan and Abdullah.  I'm still learning about GCS and Projections and I'm not sure how to tell what is what.  Below is from the vector shape layer.  I see the GCS but, I don't know about the Projection.  How do I check?

Below is from the Raster DEM layer

Below is from the Data Frame.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It IS a GCS NAD 83, it is defined as such, it is not in a projected coordinate system (PCS.. like a UTM projection)

the NAD83 is a datum, which just describes the 'shape' of earth, it is a model of earth

RickCheney

Thank you Dan and Abdullah, I wish there was a way to mark both answers as correct.  Abdulah, I really appreciate the specific instructions to use Define Projection tool not Project tool.  Dan, your explanation that "NAD83 is a datum, which just describes the 'shape' of earth"  was very helpful to me. I was using the Define Projection tool, but I was typing 4269 into the search box which was giving me a GCS.  After reading your advice, I clicked on Projected Coordinate Systems instead and then chose the PCS and UTM Zone appropriate for the location and it worked perfectly.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The raster is fine! don't change it.  As I said earlier GCS will have values in the range EW -180 to 180 ... NS -90 to 90

If it says GCS and has large numbers outside this range, then it was defined incorrectly

AbdullahAnter

I'm sorry to say that, but your vector layer is wrong spatial reference.

look to below picture:

you see your coordinate in decimal degree, but it isn't

Redefine the project of vector layer using Define Projection tool not Project tool , because the layer in wrong coordinate.